Is my baby broken?

She just doesn’t seem to sleep anymore.

11 months. Usually will do a 40-50 min nap in the morning (around 9-10am) and then 1.5hr in the afternoon around 2.30-3pm. Have been struggling with getting her down at night and having her waking at 6am.

Wake windows are 3/3.5/4.5.

No probs, figure she’s probably getting a little too much daytime sleep. Today she had 50 mins in the morning and an 1hr in the afternoon. It’s coming up to 9.30pm and this child is just p l a y i n g. Doesn’t want to sleep in spite of her doing the whole bedtime routine and everything. I’ve given up and brought her back downstairs to run around the living room and burn all her energy 😂😂😂.

@newfoundglory777 I’d push nap 1 to 9:30 and not get baby up before 6. Then do 3.5/3.5/4 and cap day sleep to 2h however it works best for you and baby. Be consistent with bedtime and don’t resort to any sleep props.

@manystyles7 Definitely agree with the 2h day sleep limit. Will try my best to tweak wake windows but she does seem quite comfortable with her at the moment and seems really sleepy when she’s going down.

@newfoundglory777 I would encourage a longer nap in the morning and a shorter one in the afternoon. Max 2 hours of total day sleep.

Baby isn't broken they just keep changing to keep us on our toes.

@trivalee Sorry to butt in here, but is there a reason for this? I’ve read that it’s better to have a longer afternoon nap but I guess that information was wrong?

@ukgirl It changes from baby to baby. Currently baby has a long afternoon nap and is having issues going to bed at night so it can be they are not quite tired with a long afternoon nap, while they want to stay in bed in the morning indicating they want more morning sleep perhaps. So it's a game of sleep distribution during the day to control hormone levels so babies go to sleep when they are tired and stay asleep.

I don't think there's right and wrong. If you read programs such as Little Ones they suggest short morning naps but there's no one recipe and I think in this case reading mom's description it seems like a sleep distribution issue so that's what I would change.

@trivalee Thank you so much for your reply. That makes a sense. My son has been having a longer afternoon nap but maybe I should try switch it around since he’s not sleeping well at night.

@softspirt She gets really cranky and ready for sleep at 3 hrs so I’m not really sure. I might try experimenting with two shorter naps some more before switching it up to one but I do think she’s in the lead up to it!

Back