Is it acceptable to pushback? I feel they could get him home faster.

@eline I'm with you! My daughter got to the point where she felt they were keeping her baby in the NICU for no reason other than feedings. She was on less than 2 liters of oxygen and breast feeding just fine. During the night she said they'd tube feed her. She was gaining weight & not having any problems. She asked if she could go-ahead and do the 48 hour in-house sleep in where they take all the tubes out and take the baby off oxygen and she & my daughter go to a private room and my daughter feeds her on her cues like she would at home. The NICU pushed back & said that she had an "episode" which means she'd have to wait another 5 days before they do the sleep-in. She asked why she wasn't called about the episode then asked to see it on the monitor but they couldn't find it. That was the last straw for her. She & her husband took turns staying there overnight and throughout the day so they could monitor the NICU activities. She called for a meeting with the pediatrician & her baby's care team & told them that she felt they were keeping her baby there for no reason other than feeding her and that it wasn't their job to feed her baby. It was hers. She also told them at this point her baby no longer needed NICU care & if they were going to be insistent that her baby be tube fed then she wanted her baby transferred to a regular children's hospital. They finally agreed to allowing the sleep-in to take place. The baby did great so she was able to take her baby home after the 48 hr period. You should be asking questions and ask for a meeting with your baby's care team so you can all get on the same page.

@eline Advocate, don't argue. I struggled with trusting the time line too. Which became especially hard when we found out one of the twins isolettes wasn't weighing properly the whole time. His weight held him back from getting his feeding tube removed because it was showing he kept losing weight. The health professionals aren't perfect, speak up but remember they've seen more babies through than you.