Intro and questions re: Milk and Baby halter kangaroo top and general nursing wear

theologypoet

Hi all!
I'm a FTM, due Oct 14th and I've been lurking this sub for about a month now, and I think I've found my Reddit tribe (aka y'all). So thanks! I'm psyched to join you.

So, I loved maternity clothes, and was super comfortable and looked decent my whole pregnancy. Now, onto the next phase:

Given that I'm going to be breastfeeding - hopefully! - in the colder months, I picked up some nursing cardigans in addition to nursing tanks. Anything else you recommend? Any quantity recommendations? I think I have/will have 2 sleep bras, 2 nursing bras, 4 nursing tanks, 3 nursing tees and 2 nursing cardigans. Is that good, not enough, or overkill?

Also, I came across the Milk and Baby kangaroo tops, which seem to be good for skin to skin (but also keep you covered up, i.e. if you have company over or just want to use your hands for other stuff).
Anyone have experience with one? Do you like it? Is it comfortable? Or do you think it's just a way to get new mommas to spend money on stuff we don't need?

Thanks so much!

@theologypoet I had a winter baby and my mom got me some flannel pyjamas that were nice. I would wear nursing bra, stretchy tank, flannel pj top to sleep and then easily unbuttoned and nursed in the night. (And the mornings.) Layers were great because I got hot flashes while feeding at first. Also cardigans sound like a great idea so you can easily open your clothes and adjust things. I found nursing tops didn't work for me at first - the slots were in slightly the wrong places for me and baby.

I never got the hang of nursing in a carrier bc my boobs were too big and baby too small. I would hold off on some purchases (or keep receipts) til baby gets here and you get the hang of what works for you. Whatever way you feed and carry your little one, make sure your new clothes have lots of pockets!!!

@quinita I also found nursing tops to be less discrete than the two-shirt method, because I'd have to maneuver my boob out of the shirt in order to get enough exposed for baby to latch. The top layer wasn't usually enough to drape the top of the boob. With two-shirt, there's more space to get your boob out, and you can use the top shirt to drape over baby a bit.

@theologypoet I probably wouldn't do the kangaroo top. The product info says it's not hands-free, so the utility is IMO not really there. You could use any baby carrier with your shirt open to achieve the same effect, plus you could use your arms, and it would grow with you as baby gets heavier. And (again in my experience), unless your boobs are small and high on your chest, the safe babywearing position (close enough to kiss without leaning) and breastfeeding position are pretty different.

@theologypoet You may want to wait to stock up until your baby is born because sizing can change. Your boobs might get giant when your milk comes in, but then adjust down a bit within a few weeks to months. If your budget is limited, I'd get a few bras now and plan to buy more as you go through a few size changes. Or if you're tiny like me, just get some stretchy bras and don't worry too much. :)

I'd also skip the kangaroo top thing and just use a stretchy wrap (like moby). I loved my stretchy wrap for the first 2.5 months and learning how to breastfeed in it was a game changer.

@theologypoet I had a stretchy wrap and found it to be a nightmare but I know people say you just have to get used to it. I have the Baby Ktan and it's much easier and it works pretty well to hold baby while he feeds.

If you don't have a robe, that can be useful. In the first week or so there were times I just went topless for hours because it was easier. We had a lot of visitors during that time and the robe enabled me to essentially be topless and do skin to skin even with guests. You can also just steal the hospital gown.

Keep in mind that you may want two of each of your favorite things, because you'll get vomited and peed on pretty frequently, particularly if you have a boy.

I love this nightgown - it's super soft and can also be worn as a dress during the day. I'll just wear it for 24 hours straight:

http://www.destinationmaternity.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=199770364&MasterCategory_Id=MC29

It's expensive but I also love this cami:

http://www.destinationmaternity.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=16671Z10362&MasterCategory_Id=MC29

@thebigfinale They have these flaps-like things that cross over your body & button at the top, so you can easily unbutton one side and pop a boob out, while the other side is still covering you and the baby if you want.

@theologypoet Nursing tanks are a life saver. I wear them at night, on lazy bra-free days, and for the first 3 weeks PP (until I could afford to go bra shopping).

Other than three pretty tops I've been back in normal shirts since about 4 months PP. I just wear a tank under a tshirt, pull the shirt up and the tank down.

@theologypoet I bought a ton of nursing bras and tanks and skin to skin stuff and seriously I use like two things (I have two of each). I wash clothes constantly. I have one padded comfy bra that I wear to work (when I'm mostly pumping) -- 2 for 9.99 at tj Maxx and a weird bra that Unlatches but isn't technically a nursing bra -- $9.99 for 1 at target. All 4 for less than 1 of the fancy nursing tops and seriously it's all I ever used. I also bought wool breast pads and they made me want to die (so itchy). Same with the disposable ones. I bought like 6 for 6.99 at baby's are us and I adore them. I never wear a nursing bra. I use clean receiving blankets or prefold diapers.

@theologypoet I love the cheapo target tank tops with a shelf bra built in. Throw some nursing pads in and viola! When it gets cold I wear leggings and usually a long t shirt over it or long sweater and do the up/down method. If it's a V neck I just pull them both down. FWIW I'm a small C chest while nursing. Found after 3 babies that it's the most discreet and easiest when the baby is small!

@theologypoet I didn't buy nursing tops until my kid was 1 and I knew we were going to be nursing for a long time. (Plus hopefully when more kids came along). I had a few nursing camis from target, I loved them so sent hubby to pick up a bunch after baby was born.

Definitely have a few things on hand, but wait until you have some time to try them out and see what works for you. I thought I would love my nursing bras, but I hated them until 6 months pp.

Back