Ideas for how to baby proof our hearth

@maladziwna Not a hearth, but...we had an elasticized bumper to go around a coffee table. Toddler son ran across the room, tripped with arms outstretched. His hands pulled the bumper down and he sent his teeth into his lower lip. No stitches, but bloody and it put a damper on oral hygiene for awhile.

@markme We used a long baby gate that was actually marketed as a pet gate(even tho a cat or dog would totally just jump over it so idk) and it worked great.

@broderick We use probably the same gate. Cat food and water on the other side of it too. Cat loves to hop over and sleep in front of the fire…like a dog.

@markme We didn't, but I would look for that foam nose trim stuff. It won't look nice but will save a couple stitches at least.

Our girl is 2 and a half now, and I still have a little heart attack when she runs past the fireplace

@eberzas If you go with this, use some superglue or stronger adhesive than just whats the on the back of the foam initially. We’re in the same boat over here with a dual-sided hearth. My wife got the foam protectors and my girls, 1.5 and 3.5, just ripped it off and ran around. Not very effective.

@markme We never baby proofed ours, but took notice when our oldest was around it. We would guide them away and set toys away from there as well as a deterrent. Sorry I’m not better help.

@markme How handy are you?

And how willing are you to see if it’s a big problem? We have my house mostly proofed. But our child is incredibly well behaved. And understands and listens to us

@markme We got the bumper for the edge but our kid just pulled it off. I have three floor pillows that we use to block it. I spend all my time on the floor now so it’s nice to have them.

@markme This is what we used around our woodstove. The panels come apart easily to make it shorter if you need.
I used some 3/16" plastic P-clips screwed to the wall at the ends to hold it solid, and a few attach it to the floor across the front. I left one panel loose/hinged for easier access to the front of the stove. It's black so it is visually non-intrusive, can still nicely see the fire. Works so well that I bought another for my parents!

@markme We have a really long hearth and a wood stove insert. The whole think is a hazard. We used a play-yard made of plastic panels stretched in front of the whole thing. Ugly, but it worked.

Back