I strongly disagree with my bf’s sisters parenting style, Do I just sit back and ignore it?

keblish

I’m [25F] live with my boyfriend, E [25M], and his family. We’ve been together for 3 years. I’ve lived with them for maybe a year.

Background on me: I don’t have kids. But I love kids. In my elementary school year book it asks “what do you want to be when you grow up?” My answer “mom.” Basically I’ve known I’ve wanted kids since I was very young and that’s stuck with me. I also enjoy ready parenting books just for fun.

I’ve done a lot of babysitting and have a lot of close extended family. I’m the eldest grandchild (by at least 8 years) out of 8, ranging from 25-2 years old, just on my moms side. We typically all go away together at least once a year and spend most holidays and birthdays together.

I have one sister [18F]. My parents divorced when I was in middle school. Up until that point my mom was a stay-at-home-mom. My family is middle-class, white American, who owns a house in a decent neighborhood, in one of the highest cost of living states.

Background on E, and his family: He is first generation American. Both his parents were born in Guatemala and came here in their early 20’s to start a family of their own.

We live with his older sister J [26F], niece R [5F], half sister N [13F] and his mom S [late 40’sF]. His parents are also divorced. His dad is really amazing and treats his half sister, N, like his own child. Both his parents always worked.

Aside from this portion of his family, my boyfriend doesn’t talk to many other family members. They are a working class Spanish family, who rent a 3 “bedroom” apartment with 6 people living in it.

Now obviously we’ve had VERY different upbringings. Very different childhoods etc.

J is a single mother. She works full time and makes more money than my parents ever did growing up, still probably even more than my dad makes now. But she also is careless with money. She has significantly racked up tons of credit card debt. She’s always borrowing from her dad or my boyfriend. But she always pays it back.

Anyway, this is where things get complicated, J forces her little sister N to watch R. J has done this since before E and I were together. So a 10 year old was in charge of a 2-3 year old! Home alone by themselves. J always claimed she didn’t have enough money to pay a sitter. Even now, she hardly pays N for her time. Usually paying her in take out food, or basic necessities ie. pads, face wash, or other grocery items. And N doesn’t have a choice, if they don’t have school, too bad you must watch your niece. This is actually a form of abuse called Parentification towards N.

Also J tends to leave R with N not just while at work, but also to go out with friends and spend time with her boyfriend. She does this quite frequently. Most nights she doesn’t even spend at home, she is usually at her BF’s house and comes to get R in time for school.

Another parenting tactic she uses is screaming. I hear J scream more than she actually talks to R. Now obviously R doesn’t listen. And I get it you’re at your breaking point. It’s allowed sometimes. But all the time? Maybe if the kid actually had adult supervision and proper care she’d have better life skills and actually pick up her toys when you ask her to clean up. Or maybe if she had more play time, then screen time she’d have less energy at night and actually go to bed.

And it’s now effecting the way R acts and plays. I’ve seen R scream at toys to “go to sleep!” “Close your eyes! It’s bed time” when she’s playing with dolls. Even at school R doesn’t listen. J is constantly getting calls from her teacher.

They’ve actually set up a sticker system together to “combat” her behavior. But it’s not enough when no one is around to discipline R properly. And when she does try to discipline its “I asked you to clean up your toys 5x’s already im throwing them out.” Which creates even a worse temper tantrum. Or “if you don’t do this we aren’t going to do this.” But hey guess what they have to do that thing no matter what so even if she doesn’t listen it doesn’t matter, you’re teaching her no matter what I do I’ll still be able to do what I want.

Or even worse J will just leave R at home, you know for N to watch. So now a 13 year old has to deal with a scream crying 5 year old amidst a temper tantrum.

Another thing that I strongly disagree with, they force R to eat. Now I’m not says they force Brussel sprouts down her throat. But they make her to eat adult sized portions of fried chicken or macaroni and cheese.

I don’t think this kid has ever seen a vegetable in her life. She’s not allowed to do anything until she finishes her plate.

She’s 5 years old and she’s over weight! Now I’m not talking tremendously. But enough for the doctor to say something.

And all this kid eats is sweets and junk food. Cookies, chips, fried food, cereal etc. She’s never going to know when she’s supposed to eat because she’s hungry. She’s going to have so many eating disorders when she’s older.

Both E and J are over weight. It’s probably because they were also forced to eat like this.

-> Now yesterday is when I snapped. N and R were fighting and screaming yesterday. I told E he should do something about it, calmly. He tried to go in diplomatically, but it ends up in more screaming and fighting. I made a comment along the lines of “what happened to calm?” So he came back and said “you try, if think you can do better than.”

So I went in and I talked to R. I asked her what happened calmly. She was crying so I told her to take 5 minutes since she is 5 years old to calm down so we can talk. I left her room, took a quick shower and came back.

She had calmed down enough I could understand her but talked minimally. I asked her what happened. Between both stories it seemed N asked R what she wanted to eat. R said “Chinese food.” N said “we aren’t ordering food, what do you want from in the house? Mac and cheese?” R got rude with N, so N took away her phone.

So I asked R “are you hungry?” She said no. I said “okay. Then you have to tell N no thank you, I’m not hungry. And you have to apologize, say your sorry, for hurting her feelings and then you can get your phone back.” I tried using empathy so she knows why, and what she did wrong. All R kept saying was “I want my phone back” I repeated myself and made it clear. She refused to say anything more than “I want my phone back”. So I told her “this is the only way you can get your phone back. I’ll give you some more time. I’ll be in the other room if you want me to go with you to talk to N.”

A little bit later I go in again and talk to her, same conversation. But now she’s a little more responsive shaking her head yes and no. Finally she shakes her head yes to go talk to N, when S barges in the room and yells at her to eat now! I tell S, “R is not hungry right now.” S then proceeds to physical start moving R off her bed to bring her to the table. R starts screaming again.

And that’s when I lost it. I stormed out of the house shaking in rage. I drove for hours. I was furious. I just spent the better part of the hour trying to calm R down and get her to apologize for her actions and she was about to do it. Everything I’ve just accomplished gone. Back to square one. I’ve stood by for so long watching this poor kid suffer, I couldn’t keep my mouth shut any longer.

Oh and as I was leaving S said “when you finish your food, you can get your phone back.”

S later asked E why I left and it led to a conversation between E and I. He refuses to be in the middle, to pick a side. I don’t blame him. But I’m worried for our future. What will our kids look like? How will his parenting style be? How can we do this together? He refuses to answer any of these questions regarding our kids too. Which makes it harder to gage what the future will hold. He doesn’t want to answer me because it will ultimately be picking a side.

E talked to J about it briefly. But all J said was “I know my child better than anyone. She’s manipulative.”

How do I handle this situation? I feel like I can’t just stand by anymore and watch.

Other details. In August their lease will be up and E and I have already discussed moving out together, just us. Do I just have to ignore this situation until then?

Oh also my boyfriend was exposed to Covid-19 and we are under quarantine until April 8th so I can’t just go back to my moms house and risk getting them sick.

Also if you haven’t noticed already I’m awful at communicating and confrontation. And I am a very emotional person. I know for sure J won’t listen to anything I have to say. Even when E says something passive about her parenting she gets mad, starts yelling or gives him the silent treatment.

Help.

TL;DR
My boyfriends sister is awful at parenting and I don’t know if I can just sit by and watch anymore.

@keblish OK a brief two cents: I am a similar version of you. Big family, oldest cousin. Grew up around kids and love them. Am a tier one uncle. Then I became a dad.

It's much harder to be a parent. I find myself doing all sorts of shit I used to judge people on. I love my wife and we are both pretty good with kids- I can't even imagine doing it alone.

Tbh it doesn't sound like your sister in law is a great parent. But it doesn't sound like she's terrible- and it does seem that you dislike her.

If you wanna improve this kids life then step one is the above poster--just be there. But step two is try to see it from your sister in laws eyes. Parenting is fucking tough, straight up. If you can get along with her, I dunno if you can but that seems like- from the limited facts I've got- a good option.

These things are hard. Families are hard. I married into a giant Polynesian one, similar in structure to a Latino family. It took me some adjustment to say the least.

Good luck!

@217 Very much agree. I find myself doing things I used to judge other parents on.

Life is very much different once you have a child. For the most part , you are exhausted, over stimulated, missing your old self, looking for an opportunity to feel like you again. All while loving the hell out of a tiny human, trying to keep it alive, give it a good life, feed it, clean it and enjoy life with it.

@217 TBH if I didn’t know her as a parent we would probably be really great friends. We have a lot in common. I’ve taken them on several trips and such, we’ve always had a good time.

I don’t want to step on her toes as a parent because yes, you are right, I am not in a position to talk. I don’t know what it’s like to deal with a kid 24/7.

I feel like I haven’t found that sweet spot where how much should I step in? How much should I just let it go? I’ve done some positive fun things like we’ve done science projects, learning and playing games together. But I feel like I’m not allowed to discipline her. That would be over stepping. Plus when I tried to step in, I was undermined anyway, so what’s the point?

@keblish It's tough because I've been where you stand in the whole discipline thing cause I used to watch my friends daughter quite often before we moved and luckily my friend was ok with me disciplining if it came to it (which were very few times and it was more like talking like how you did). I don't see J being very responsive to your help with how you told your story but you could try to talk to her in a way she might be responsive like instead of pointing out passively you could just ask her why she does what she does and maybe ask her if she would like some help. Just because you're not a parent yet doesn't mean you're an idiot when it comes to kids and not able to give an opinion. I just became a mom and because I've been around kids and have seen the different ways my friends/family parent, I feel more confident (not completely but a bit more) about how to react to situations. I am going to say this that how you handled R was amazing so maybe even suggestions to J about how certain tactics work with R where others don't. I hope the best for you.

@keblish Many of us have been in that situation. We want to help out other families and their children when we feel like something is going wrong. And they usually think everything is fine and they don't want any help/advice.

If you're going to do anything to help, you probably have to take action yourself. Meaning, you start having as many positive interactions with the child as possible. Beyond that, you can try picking out one very important issue, or something that the mother is likely to agree about, and see if you can get it to land. It probably won't work unless it is at least as convenient as what they're doing now. Good parenting is not convenient, it takes time and you have to invest yourself in your children with the hope that it will pay off in the future. Someone who feeds their child lots of junk food clearly doesn't want to take responsibility for their child's future.

What I'm saying is, good luck, and don't try to change the world because you'll just make people angry and you won't likely get good results from it.

@aryianna Thanks for this advice. I’m going to really think this through. See if I can come at this in a positive way without stepping on J’s shoes.

Like I said down below, I’m not sure how far I should go without over stepping.

@keblish Ideal parents are those who have yet to have kids. If you are 25 years old and have lead the largely the privileged life you describe, you don't need to be dead weight in that house. Get your own place, and set a good example.

Then, once you have kids, make sure the father isn't in the picture, and get yourself stuck in a house with the adult girlfriend of your brother. Be sure she tells you how to do things better that she has never done, like raise her own kids, and as she tacitly disrespects your culture and parenting, be sure she is clueless to how she comes across-- for maximal effect. /s

But in all seriousness, people are not perfect, and parenting is hard. Nothing here is abusive, perhaps authoritarian, but it is also not culturally that odd. You should really think about whether you want to stay with your boyfriend, as he will enter into parenting with his familial/cultural model, and if you aren't on the same page, or at least respectful of different views to talk it out, it will cause problems.

Best of luck!

@singnsuzq Unfortunately we can’t move out until August, as my BF is waiting for his mother to pay him back money. But that’s another issue.

I’m not dead weight. I pay my fare share of necessities and rent and do more chores / cooking / cleaning than anyone in this house combined.

As for my boyfriend, he basically says he’ll go along with whatever I want as parenting goes. I’ll try and have a better conversation with him once things cool down a bit and it’s not about choosing sides.

@keblish If you do things so much better, frankly, why are you there? If he is so spineless as you describe and you are doing everything, I think you should move on. If this guy is your future, do you want these people for life?

@keblish i didnt even read the post... but the answer is yes. unless the children are in danger and you need to call the police/ambulance/cps, then the answer is always to mind your own business. you can't "backseat parent", it'll ruin your relationship with the parents and be ineffective anyway. model good behavior, be nice to the kids when you can, but otherwise mind your own business.

@keblish I would not say anything, actually, and this is coming from a social worker specializing in child development.

In fact, I would be packing my bags and finding my own residence to live in. People have different parenting styles. I take the gentle parenting approach, my best friend is more strict than I am. In fact, even your:

“okay. Then you have to tell N no thank you, I’m not hungry. And you have to apologize, say your sorry, for hurting her feelings and then you can get your phone back.” I tried using empathy so she knows why, and what she did wrong.

Is not a way I would personally parent. And if someone was in my home parenting my child that way, I would be upset. I'd personally say "I can see you hurt N feelings. How do you feel about that?" and let them guide the conversation instead of forcing them to apologize for something they may not be sorry for. Also, children don't have impulse control. So my feeling is she didn't do anything wrong - she did something normal for her age.

Your adding confusion into the mix and giving her false promises of getting her phone back when obviously that wasn't the case. Maybe instead of "Should I say something?" you could be asking "How can we work together to reach a common goal?" with their mother.

@katrina2017 The reason I approached it that way was because between my boyfriend and N they already set it up and told her that she needed to apologize in order to get her phone back. So I kept with that theme.

I tried getting her to talk and I asked her questions, but she wasn’t responding to anything or anyone. All she kept saying was “I want it back”.

I understand that because of her age and maturity she just reacted, rather than thought about how her actions would effect someone else. But how will she ever learn if it’s not taught to her?

Anyway I think I’m just going to try my best to stay out of it. You’re right, it will just add confusion to the mix. She already has 5 different people trying to parent 5 different ways, I’m not going to add to that mix. I just feel bad for her.

I’ll make sure she knows I’m around if she ever needs me.

@keblish It always seems to be the people who don’t have kids who are the most judgmental about parenting styles. Unless the kids are in danger, stay out of it.

Back