i hate when people say “i wish i have/had twins”

diddle

my biggest pet peeve is when i’m out and about with my twins (didi boys, 3 mo) and strangers say

“oh my goodness! i wish i had twins. you’re so blessed.”

do not get me wrong, i am very happy with my life now. but when my boys were first born, that first month i legitimately thought i ruined my life. for context, they’re my first children, conceived on the depo shot, and im 20, in medical school.

my pregnancy was filled with anxiety from all the high risk appointments, 2x a week at one point. i was always in the ER because i have a blood disorder similar to sickle cell and needed weekly iron transfusions. i would never ever wish that anxiety onto a woman, not knowing if your body will fail you or your children.

and then recovering from a c-section while getting absolutely no sleep. (i thought i would die from exhaustion, that’s not even an exaggeration. i was contemplating admitting myself to get mental health care at one point in the early weeks.) :/

then my twin A was hospitalized while twin B was not. i saw twin B for 45 minutes a day for a few weeks, having to lie and say he was breast fed so the hospital would let him into his brothers inpatient room. (do not get me started on how hospitals are not understanding of twin parents, and how certain rules literally make 0 sense)

we finally have a sense of normal and both babies are healthy, eating well and out of the hospital. but please do not tell me you wish you had twins. they’re not novelty items. they’re the hardest thing i’ve done in my life, but i am beyond blessed to have been gifted with the opportunity to have twins.

@diddle I feel like this might be somewhat unpopular (or maybe just not seen as often on this sub) but I feel incredibly lucky to have twins, I have always wanted them. Don’t get me wrong, newborn time was difficult but I totally get what people mean when they say they wish they had twins because that was once me and I just feel like I got super lucky.

@katrina2017 I’m so glad I had twins. I am so glad I don’t have to go through a singleton pregnancy and birth twice to have two kids. I absolutely understand the desire to have multiples.

Back