I’m buying presents for an angel tree child and I have questions about the LOL Surprise Dolls on her list - please help?

suzuki16

Okay here are my questions:
  1. Are “L.O.L OMG Surprise dolls” the same thing?
  2. There is an “Lol surprise” smart watch - is it worth $60? Would an 11 year old enjoy it? Do they need to have an smartphone or any other device or accessories for it to function?
  3. There are so many variations of this toy. I see bathbombs that reveal a doll, confetti surprise dolls(?), dolls with massive luggage cases, and dolls that just show their picture on the box - so what do the kids actually hope for? Is the point to be surprised by which doll you get?
  4. Are there any products in this brand I should avoid because a parent would be unhappy? Like I’m thinking I should avoid the confetti one and probably the bath bomb in case the little girl is sensitive
  5. I seem to remember a controversy with these dolls having sexually suggestive clothing revealed when they are dipped in water - which ones should I avoid to not give her one of those?
Bonus Question: she’s also asking for a tablet and I was planning to get her one of the Amazon fire tablets. Is that enough functionality for what kids need them for? I’m guessing she might need it for school stuff so I’m hoping it’s not limited to just kindle and Spotify or something

Second bonus question: she’s asked for a karaoke machine but all the machines I see seem to just be a mic and speakers and you play your own music. Idk if she has a device to play music through Bluetooth and I thought the point of karaoke was to see the words? Is that not what kids mean these days?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

@suzuki16 First, wow, you are lovely to be so generous. My 12 yo wont even be getting all of that!

If you have already decided on a tablet, then it should work with the karaoke machine. My only concern there is whether the living situation is suitable for the machine. Perhaps an attachment microphone for the tablet would work just as well?

As for LOL I hate them so my kiddo has been steered away, hopefully someone else can help you there.

Is it strange to me that an angel list has a $60 watch, a tablet ($100?) A karaoke machine (another 50-100) and more on it? Maybe I am stingy, but I would aim.for something slightly more practical, (tablet), a couple of.fun items (microphone and small LOL items) and then something useful like mitts or a cozy blanket. If you really want to get a watch, I'd look for something in the $20-25 range, my daughter has had some that price that were lovely and practical too.

You are a generous soul. And while I think it is wonderful to want to make all her dreams come true, perhaps balance it out a bit with some realism- ie watch yes but not the overpriced branded one for example.

@adamlost Yeah in all honesty I was pretty surprised by how expensive the list was. The dolls are really the only thing under $50.

I truly appreciate your help!

@suzuki16 My daughter (almost 5 but her friends have older sisters that she gets ideas from) is asking for LOL dolls too. My understanding is that the point is to be suprised by the one you get. There's a nunch of difference versions. The basic ones just have the doll, an outfit, accessories and some stickers in them. The big expensive ones might have multiple dolls etc in them (should say on the packaging). Some different collections (different packaging style) have boy dolls instead of girl dolls, some have pets, some have dolls with hair that can be brushed. If you want to know what comes in a specific box there are plenty of videos on youtube if people opening them (which my daughter looooves to watch).

No idea on the smart watch sorry. No idea about a tablet either.

My daughter wants a karaoke microphone too. She says the point is so the whole world can hear her sing when it comes out the speakers/ TV. But she can't read yet so seeing the lyrics wouldn't be a feature she looks for. If you do get a tablet maybe get a microphone that can connect to that? There's sing along apps or even YouTube videos with the lyrics for all kinds of songs. My biggest annoyance is most karroke things don't come with the songs I've found.

@suzuki16 My kid has the watch and was bored of it after a week. Your 'adopted' child might enjoy the watch more but I'd honestly just get toys. Depending on how much you want to spend you could do a few dolls or the clubhouse is not too expensive and comes with two dolls and like a skate ramp and such lol. The smaller dolls are easier than the barbie sized ones because the hair is a nightmare to keep up. The bathbomb ones havent been worth it.

As for sexually suggestive clothing that's based on the parent I suppose. They are similar to the old bratz dolls. I have no issue with anything they are wearing. Some might. Theres no way of knowing who you are getting with the small dolls.

Back