How to smell good in a nontoxic way?

@superpeople I noticed I get compliments on my hair smelling good when people hug me. I think my hair traps in smells more easily, good or bad. But it happens enough times for me to notice. I don’t think all of my hair products are nontoxic though I think it would still acquire the smell if they were, worth a shot. I use shampoo and conditioner in the shower, and use leave in conditioner and hair oil afterwards.

You could also try using a roll-on essential oils perfume? I think those are nontoxic and subtle enough that you might get used to the smell enough for you to not notice it yourself? I would check to make sure though. Try just putting in on the back of your neck to start or the backs or your wrists

@superpeople I dont know how crunchy it is but I’ve been wearing Kumba Made Egyptian musk since I was 14. It’s definitely scent and I like it much better than alcohol based fragrances.

@superpeople I use corpus brand deodorant. I use the more woodsy santalum scent, but it smells pretty luxe and works well for a natural deodorant so I bet the more floral scents are good too!

I also use bathing culture brand body wash and shampoo/conditioner, which I think smell great.

@superpeople I've made natural body sprays/room sprays by soaking herbs in alcohol for 6 weeks then straining out and also making them with essential oils/witch hazel/glycerin. Neither had a smell that lasted longer than 2 seconds unfortunately. Ive also bought Aura Cacia body spray (made with essential oils) and again, no lasting smell.

I caved and occasionally use Native spray (they were bought out so it's not completely non toxic)

I use to be a huge Bath and Body Works girl and I REALLY miss smelling good. For me it's a mental thing, scents have the ability to lift my mood so it's tough sacrificing body sprays. But I know how carcinogenic and bad for you it is so I just can't... 😞

@superpeople I use Zum laundry detergent in frankincense and myrrh and while I don’t smell the scent anymore I get compliments on it. It was great to find something that made our clothes smell fresh since I have used fragrance free detergent for years and our clothes used to end up smelling just… dusty(?) from the drawers.

@superpeople I guess I’m not sure what you’re asking for. If you want to be fragrant but can’t stand fragrances… maybe you should just settle for smelling clean?

Idk why women are supposed to smell like flowers anyways. Who decided that?

@jaenalyn I have to agree. The best fragrance is of your own clean, healthy self. The notion that we have to – or, in severe cases, the mass delusion that we want to – hide behind a wall of artificially introduced fragrance is just another example of industries promoting self erasure to turn a profit.

That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with self expression through applied fragrance – as long as that is the actual motive. And as long as the fragrance remains in your personal space and doesn't invade that of others.

@superpeople The Kuumba Made rollerball perfumes from Whole Foods are so amazing, I love Persian garden, water goddess, Egyptian musk, Pikake lei, water lily, zen rain
Some Whole Foods have them available to smell 10/10 recommend and I’m sure they also have them at other health food stores

@superpeople A lot of herb shops sell oils. I used to make lilac perfume all the time. You get a base oil and mix the scent you like until it’s the right amount for you. Then put in a roller and roll it on wrists & chest and you are good to go! If you try some different scents, whichever one you can’t smell on yourself is supposed to match your pheromones and natural smell and will compliment you . So experiment a little bit!

Back