How important is C shape in 8 month old?

esdivine7

I’ve been baby wearing face in with my now 8 month old in an Artipoppe. How important is maintaining a C shape spine in an 8 month old. For the life of me, I can never put her in a C shape. Not sure if it’s her extending her back or if it’s something I’m doing wrong. Even when first putting her in with the straps still loose, her spine is already extended. She’s a petite 8 month old probably still in the 5th percentile for height and weight.

@esdivine7 When babies grow and they get stronger, start crawling, sitting up, start to pull themselves up, their spine goes from a c curve to an s curve and when they're walking and running, the spine is the double a curve like we have.

At that age, the shape you want to look for in a baby that's awake is J. The baby, that's sleeping still has a round back since they're still floppy when sleeping at that age. Some babies even do the banana where they throw themselves backwards as soon as there's little bit of slack.

@esdivine7 You won’t get a C unless baby is relaxed and is laying their head on your chest.

Make sure your waistband is high up though, it needs to be touching your ribs if not higher if your baby is tiny. If you wear it down on your hips the way Artipoppe advertises their carriers it’s going to be really uncomfortable for your kiddo.

This site has a good spine shape infographic if you scroll down a bit: https://ergonomic-baby-carriers.com/blog/7_what-is-an-ergonomic-baby-carrier-.html

@esdivine7 Have you tried a hip tuck? That will help properly support spine & legs and tends to add some C curve.

After you’ve tightened all the straps up, reach in and grab baby’s thighs/butt, and lift the knees up. It’s sort of a rotating motion.

Back