How early do you start your day

msaved56

I've always been one to do my hair and makeup. Like every morning I'll wake up early and have fun on my look for the day. This was instilled in me early by my grandma and mom. They would wake early everymornkng and sit at the coffee table with hand mirrors, makeup bags, and coffee.
Always up getting ready for the day. My grandma always told me get ready no matter what because you never know. As in you never know who you might run into. So I took it and truly believed it bc I was out sometimes looking raggedy! Lol
Anyways, I am a new mom. My little one will be 3mos on the 20th. I'm just getting use to life balance. It was my first day at they gym n it felt nice. Tye best time for me to go was at 430 5a due to my bby n bf still sleeping.
I'm nervous about work life balance now w a bby. I honestly don't want to leave her. But I know I must support her. I've had alot of childhood trauma n this has made me over protective.
What has helped you moms with adjusting going bck to work n leaving your baby at child care?

@msaved56 I would love to be a person who wakes up early and does things but I'm just not capable of functioning for a string of entire days that begin before 7.

My alarm goes off at 7. If I got up when it goes off I'd get 30 minutes before my toddler wakes up. Instead I usually end up laying around on reddit until I hear toddler get up around 730

@dgrl36 My alarm goes off at 6:30… but my kid is up at six, so it doesn’t matter 😅 I’ll feed him breakfast and then go upstairs to get myself ready while he entertains himself.

@msaved56 I’m the same way! I work a hybrid schedule, so days I commute, I’m up at 530 to get ready in time to make the dreaded journey. On WFH days, I am less polished and sleep in until 6, if my body lets me. My LO is now a toddler, but has always been on a later schedule (730ish), which helps a lot.

@msaved56 You sound like a great mom who wants to give your baby the best life possible!

Going back to work was (is) hard - not because of work though, which I honestly love. It can be really nice to go do something you are good at, with other adults, and earn money for your family (and it’s ok to say you enjoy working!)

It helped me to reframe my attitude, think of the role model i am being for my daughter, and just let myself feel my feelings - missing her, liking work, whatever.

I start my day really early too; I walk my dog around 530. Exercise and fresh air are great. I get up 10 or 15 minutes before to put on skincare and a bit of makeup, whether it’s a workday or not. I didn’t use to do this, only when she got a bit older (4mo) and was sleeping better; otherwise i would prioritize sleep haha!

Wishing you good luck figuring out your routine and joining us back in the workforce!

@msaved56 I’m usually up around 5.30. I like to wake up, have a tea and sit with the news or reddit in peace for a little while before the rest of the house is awake. I’m about to start 6am gym classes too as it’s the only time I can really get them done!

@msaved56 I’m not a morning person and my husband is out of the house at 6am so I don’t even pretend that I’ll get up early to work out or whatever. I do wake up about 30-45 minutes before my daughter to get myself dressed and any last lunch prep.

I take my self care time in the evening: without, bath, couch sitting, whatever. Taking time for yourself as a human being and not just a parent is important, however you can find it!

@msaved56 Damn girl, you still do all of that with a tiny baby?? That’s badass, and good for you! Trial and error to see what times work best for you and your schedule, and keep in mind it may sometimes change depending on where your life is at. But the fact that you are still taking the time to make YOU feel good, even with the little things like H/MU, is golden. Keep that up, it’ll be helpful to keep a healthy mindset and prevent fully self-sacrificing yourself for others. It’s the little things that add up over time.

@msaved56 I admire anyone who gets up early to get beautiful for the day. I wake up around 6:30 which is just enough time to get dressed, brush hair and teeth, get kiddo ready and run out the door. I don’t have the energy to get beautiful

@msaved56 My alarm is set for 4:30am (that's the latest I can get up) but I'm usually up between 4:10am and 4:20am, I've rarely ever heard my alarm go off. But I don't do any make up or anything, I shower, sign into my PC, make kids lunches, get kids up and dressed, give breakfast and have to leave by 6:10am to get them to their before school program so I can get to work by 7am (I WFH so it's just driving back home though).

@msaved56 6:30am alarm goes off, I either don’t hear it or say “Hey Siri, stop.” 7:30am alarm goes off, I snooze it. Then snooze it several times before getting up around 8:55-9ish. I’m remote and “technically” our hours are 8-5, but we can tailor it. I get up, turn on my computer and open all my apps (Teams especially to show “Available”, then I get ready in the bathroom (which usually just includes a shower and teeth brushing, throwing my hair in a bun and lotioning/moisturizing). I’m at work around 9:30. Then I have breakfast at my desk. My lo gets up around 11-12 and we get through the day together.
It’s a horrible routine :,)
But the twice a year that I do get up at 5am to get ready… those are the best days.

@msaved56 Gym with a 3 month old?

You are doing amazing!

I wake-up about an hour (5:45am-6am) before the kids, as it gives me to opportunity to get dressed, make coffee, make lunches and start breakfast. I usually work from home so getting dressed takes about 15 minutes, but I still change from pajamas to leggings/ tunic- lol

This also means I go to sleep early, which I hate. But I need to else I am waking up at the same time as the kids which is a mess.

@msaved56 My toddler sleeps until 7 or 7:30, and I usually wake at 6:30 or 6:40 to get ready before she wakes. Then we do breakfast and get her ready for school, I drop her off,walk the dog, then start work.

@msaved56 The night before my office days I shower, wash, and blow dry my hair.

I am up at 4:30 am on those days to get ready and make my son’s lunch. On the road by 5:30. I’m extremely polished on those days.

On other days, I sleep in until 7, don’t put make up on, barely put outside clothes on. I’ve done drop off and grocery runs in my pjs lol.

@msaved56 I wake up at 4 (sometimes earlier due to pregnancy insomnia) so I can make it to work by 5:30. I rarely do my hair and makeup. My toddler normally wakes up for my husband around 6-7.

@msaved56 I’ve never found it difficult to incorporate self care. Idk maybe I have an easy kid but as an infant she would just sit in the shower with me, and then play next to me while I got ready for the day. As she got older she’d enjoy joining me during my routines.

I don’t like the idea of getting ready and polished when they are sleeping, not around, because I think it’s important for our children to see out take care for ourselves and it helps them respect us as people when we take time for ourselves in front of them.

Back