How do you manage grocery requests?

@joeawilliams123 I got tired of buying snacks that I know they like but they weren’t eating bc that wasn’t what they wanted that week. So I continued to shop for our normal breakfast,lunch and dinner items for the week and not buy snacks. I gave them each $20 and told them to go to the store and buy whatever they wanted. If they didn’t want whatever was for dinner one night then they eat something from their $20 for the week. It keeps me from buying hella snacks or frozen meals that just sit there and they get to figure out how to stretch $20. If they go over then it’s on them to pay. It also gave me the opportunity to show them coupons and depending on where they go they can use a phone number to get the sale items but also earn points for gas.

@joeawilliams123 I would offer compromise. She wants breakfast sandwiches? Well, here's a recipe for breakfast egg cups to make & freeze and a bag of English muffins.

My daughter is 19 & in college. She has anxiety disorder. She lives at home. It used to be a struggle to get her to eat anything but junk. Her anxiety also pops up with a "you don't deserve to eat good things" message fairly frequently. But we're learning how to get around that. I keep certain things on hand that are her go to foods because it helps her fight the anxiety. Some of it is expensive and/or unhealthy, but we need to fuel her body when things get out of balance. If that means a $9 box of frozen veggie potstickers and a box of Little Debbie Cosmic Brownies, I'm fine with that.

I'd also talk to her about why she wants certain things. Like, why brie? Is there a time issue or is it just convenience (I would say laziness, but know with my daughter that using words like that can really be triggering). This way, you can have a discussion where you both feel heard.

@joeawilliams123 My son (14) gets $50/week to buy the ingredients to cook two dinners for 2 and buy his own toiletries and snacks. I do buy some 'household' snacks but all the Oreos and Takis and whatnot come out of his budget.

@joeawilliams123 She throws a fit, like a toddler?

Fine. Her bedtime is now when toddlers go to bed, around 7pm.

No rides anywhere, she gets a healthy meal and can eat it or not.

Absolutely do not buy her junk food.

When she can act her age again, she can earn privileges.

@joeawilliams123 We made our boys actually go shopping with us and they nearly sh*t a brick when they saw what things actually cost. Now the list gets made and we comparison shop with the sales ads, we have 2 grocery stores , super Walmart, Aldi, Lidi and BJ’s within a few minutes of us. If the items they want are on sale somewhere they make a list and pick it up, if not they can substitute (brand etc whatever) or they can wait for the next sales cycle. They get better deals and spend less than when my husband goes by himself 😂. They are each allowed that one “special” item, for one it’s haagen daz ice cream for the other it’s weird protein drinks lol

Back