How do you even give a f@#k?

@kpiper I did actually interview for a new position in my office - still waiting to hear back. As someone else here has said, the new position is not exactly fulfilling or within my usual skill set, but this isn’t the season for that. I think I could manage a job like that if it felt worth my time and mental energy; my current job doesn’t because no one we work with seems to care about what they’re doing and doesn’t respect the work I do. I don’t want to leave my employer for many reasons - I just don’t think I can be a mom and have this assignment.

@kpiper Pediatric OT here in a private practice. I only manage to care because I work part time so it’s about all the bandwidth I can manage. Was told last year (I’m only 35) that salary is probably capped; no raises, because insurance doesn’t pay more for experienced therapists. Cool. Cool cool cool. I keep at it because I am determined to switch settings to public schools as soon as I can find a job because they pay better and have consistent salary schedules/raises. I know what it’s like to have a thankless job you’re underpaid and over qualified for so I commiserate for sure.

@kpiper It’s bullshit; also I’ve worked here for 8 years and am their most experienced therapist. It’s such a slap in the face. They don’t care I think because they’d rather pay some new grad per client or just way less than they pay me. I’m out as soon as I can find something.

@itsgo0d Yep this is How my place is. I’ve been advocating for raises for all staff and increasing the rates for new hires but they claim there’s no money…well, SPOILER ALERT: there is money. Ive seen the financial reports. It’s all bullshit

@pastorton It’s extremely variable per state and per county. My county has excellent management and support for OTs and very reasonable caseloads of like 30-40 kids max. I know quite a few OTs there who all love it. Very little turnover, extremely good benefits and increasing pay. My pay is literally stagnant now at the age of 35 in outpatient and I have 30 years left in my career and a family to feed

@kpiper LPC here, I gave up mental health counseling and have moved into another area. It’s less stress and similar pay. I still hold my license but don’t really use it right now.

@robynhymn I’m trying to get into managed care but I have a few other things in the pipeline I just need to sit tight for a few weeks. I just know I can’t go back to this. And I certainly can’t be emailing my staff at 8pm anymore.

@kpiper LPC here. It’s hard. I’ve been back to work in CMH for almost a year now since having my first baby and I’m honestly doing the bare minimum. Like still showing up for clients, but as far as working after-hours, emailing/messages outside of work hours, catching up on documentation, nope. It gets done during work hours and if it doesn’t, my workload is probably too high. My priories have just shifted since becoming a parent. My goal is PP for the flexibility and autonomy mostly.

@kpiper I was only at a provisional license and knew I was already burnt out on client work. I transitioned to research and data. Pay is not as good but there is room to grow and my boss lets me work 7:30-4 and it’s fully remote.

@kpiper Higher education. I could make more money elsewhere, but I have state insurance, a future pension, summers off, and don't work more than 40 hours a week, with traditional hours. There's also room for upward movement someday, where I would make much more.

@kpiper Just here to commiserate. I'm a HUD service coordinator and just got back from maternity leave about a month ago.

Where I'm at: I care about my clients and still find meaning in my job when I get a win for one of my residents. I don't give a fig about all the stuff not directly related to doing my actual job (weird hr/leadership stuff). I chart what I need to for myself/my co-service coordinator, but nothing additional. I'm done doing extra work. And I'm hoping to transition out of this role after my youngest is 1.5/2 years old to something else (and that will be after I'm PSLF eligible). Unless I get a massive raise 😂

@kpiper Yeah, I have none left to give. I literally approach each day like “they fire me, or they don’t, and I don’t care which it is”. I do the work my families need, then half ass all my paperwork because the system is sucked and it doesn’t even really matter anyway. What matters is the work I do, and I know that’s good. If my employer doesn’t, well then I can find another. They need me way more than I need them.

@kpiper I’m pregnant with my first but still working full time out in the community. I’m a mental health crisis responder (LCSW) for the local police department of a large city. I love my job and my coworkers/managerial staff, but the work is so hard and everything is underwater. Our city feels like it’s on fire and we are slapping bandaids on large wounds and have no real impact on clients long term outcomes. I love my job but since being pregnant, I’m barely hanging on by a thread. I’m not sure how I’m going to manage coming back from maternity leave.

@brightblossom Wow. You are doing the REAL work. I work in Philly schools with part of the program I oversee and it’s really scary. I refused to go into some of the schools during pregnancy because I had been shoved previously while fighting broke out, take care of yourself and put your foot down when you need to.

Back