Help! My baby fell off the bed last night

genstt

Our 10 mo old sleeps in a sidecar crib on my side of the bed. I try to create a barrier with my body that prevents her from leaving the confines of the crib but sometimes I roll over in my sleep. Last night she crawled to the end of the bed and fell off. Luckily she is ok, quit crying the moment I nursed her and not even a bump or a bruise. But it was still super scary and super not ok.

So we brainstormed a solution and came up with this thing.

Lsbod Toddlers Bed Rails Extra Long Swing Down Baby Bed Guards Fold Down Safety Bedrail Dear Pattern Kids Guardrail for Twin Double Full Size Queen King(1side 59" Lx27 H) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BNF6YZ7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_VVKA3N4ZRQY5X7NF3D7Q

The problem is she will need to start sleeping between us because this set up means the sidecar will no longer be effective. Is she old enough to sleep between us? Plus my husband sometimes like to smoke weed in the evenings so I'm not sure I want him directly next to her. What is the waiting period between smoking and cosleeping. Three hours? A day? Hard no ever?

Please let me know if you guys have any more solutions we could try. I'm not opposed to a floor bed but we would like to keep our bedframe if we can.

@genstt My LO fell of the bed once too, I felt horrible. We opted for a floorbed. It works great for us.

Edited to add: your LO is too young to sleep between the two of you. The advice is not before two, and this is for good reason.
When your partner smokes weed or is otherwise intoxicated, it's is a hard no at all times to sleep in the same bed! It can lead to very, very dangerous situations. Every once in a blue moon, my husband drinks a beer, but will always sleep somewhere else. Also, don't dismiss the consequences of second- or third hand smoke. It can lead to SIDS.

@genstt An older lady asked me if my son 8months at the time had fallen off the bed yet while cooing over how cute he was. I told her yes about 2 weeks prior during a nap. She told me that its a good omen for a long life in her culture. So hopefully you find that as reassuring as i did.

We started co-sleeping with our son between us at 6months. We had been used to having dogs in our bed so we were pretty used to being aware of smaller bodies in our bed. We had a strict no drinking rule while co-sleeping. It just wasn't something we felt was worth the risk. If you were wanting my opinion specifically on this I would recommend your husband sleep elsewhere on those nights he wants to smoke or possibly ask him to take a break until your baby is out of the bed. By the way we put a pool noodle under the pillows at the top of the bed as a bumper for our little ones head. My husband was so very worried his arm would get stuck between the mattress and the headboard.

@genstt We bought a sleigh cot and took one side off and that worked. Both beds took over the room but it was good. We also put up the barrier things around the bed and they were so good we transitioned our girl into her own bed with them in use. She is now 5.

Btw - babies falling out of bed happens, so don’t beat yourself up about it. When it happened to us we felt so guilty and maybe went a bit overboard with anxiety and protecting our girl. If it was up to my wife, we would have turned our room into a soft play area with pillows!!

Back