Help me decide between the Bugaboo Butterfly and Uppababy Minu!

beemac

Hi everyone! I’m in the market for a new stroller for a newborn.

Here are my immediate requirements:
  1. Compact footprint and collapsible for easy transport (I live in a 1 BR apartment in NYC and plan to travel regularly)
  2. Suitable for a newborn until they are approximately 4
My research suggests both of these strollers should meet my needs but which one is better?

Thoughts on the Uppababy Minu:

-This one collapses and is suitable for either gate checking and overhead compartment storage

-The travel bag is available and will cover catastrophic damage over 4 years while traveling

-Bassinet option for newborn

-2.5” Wider footprint (I’m assuming this means it will be more comfortable for the kid if they are larger)

-Shorter back seat height and shallower seat (Does the smaller seat mean it is not as comfortable when the child grows?)

Thoughts on the Bugaboo Butterfly:

-When fully collapsed, it is IATA compatible so I should be able to store this in the overhead compartment and avoid unnecessary damage from gate checking

-I can use the stroller immediately after getting off the plane

-No bassinet; however, I can use a car seat for transporting the newborn. This is not ideal but this also means I have one less piece (the bassinet) to store

-Narrower footprint which will hopefully help with maneuverability

Which one do you think is a better choice? Also, which brand has a better selection of must have accessories?

Thanks!

@beemac Literally was just researching this yesterday.

The Stroller Workshop reviewed both of these as being excellent travel strollers; however, they noted that the UppaBaby was more durable / sturdy overall and had better handling (due to its larger wheels), making it more appropriate if you intend to use it as your primary stroller or on slightly rougher terrain (like gravel or cobblestone).

On the other hand, I believe the Butterfly folds up smaller and is more comfortable to carry, if you foresee needing to carry it often. The Minu is also quite questionable as carry on luggage… Though UppaBaby suggests it’s suited for it, and the Internet is full of stories of people doing it, I checked and it seems to be too large to be carry on luggage even on US domestic carriers (e.g., Southwest) that tend to allow for the larger-size carry ons. Not sure if I’d make that a priority when choosing a stroller though, especially in light of UppaBaby’s promise to replace a broken stroller if you use their travel bag. And if you’re intending for this to be a primary stroller, as opposed to one strictly for travel, I think the carry on thing matters even less.

Other comparable strollers are the Joolz Aer+ and the BabyZen Yoyo2.

@beemac Bugaboo has nicer footmuffs at least in their full lineup. I mean you don't really need real down in NYC, but it is an option, and they are just generally nicer. Probably because in the nordic countries leaving your baby outside is a thing. Footmuffs are likely a must have accessory as snow suits are cute, but most of the time you will be taking the kiddo between warm indoor places.

You didn't say whether or not you have an elevator, but it is important to think of the logistics. I know some people without elevators end up getting an umbrella stroller that they can keep at the bottom of the stairs, but every place is different)

A real bassinet is super helpful in NYC because the baby can sleep in it, and you likely just aren't going on many car rides anyways. They are really not supposed to do so in car seats and they aren't supposed to be in a car seat more than 2 hours at a stretch.

I will say that you will likely be gate checking the stroller regardless much of the time, Flight attendants just do it the moment the flight looks full.

4 is exceedingly late to be regularly strollering a city kid. I mean every kid is different, but you may be overplanning (which is ok and totally normal). Also, if you expect 4 years out of a travel stroller as your only stroller in the city that is a lot. The stairs are murder on the frame, the salt that is everywhere damages things, and the strollers sacrifice things for (relative) lightness and foldability.

@beemac Joolz Aer+. It's sturdy, fits as a carry-on, has the bassinet. It's the happy place between the 2. I have the original and love it. Only thing missing is a snack tray but the silver cross tray fits perfectly.

@beemac Repost because i actually tried to use joolz cs and received a very positive experience.

I like to not have to check in the stroller, and i got a joolz aer+. Regarding their cs, upon receiving the stroller, i spot some frayed stitching, not a defect, but not clean finish. I emailed them with a pic, they sent me the entire seat 2 days shipping despite the issue is not really an issue.

@beemac I used to have a Cruz and a Minu, and I ended up giving the Cruz away and having two Minus (one which we keep in the car). They are awesome strollers and I love ours. If you have the Uppababy car seat, you can also just get adapters for the Minu rather than the bassinet. Can’t speak for the Butterfly, but we are east coasters and have taken our Minu (which was also second hand) to Mexico, Japan, and flown in the US ~ over 8 flights total, and it’s still going strong. Have never overhead binned it, only gate checked and not even with the official Uppababy travel bag.

@giddyg Very honestly, have only ever flown direct since traveling with baby, but haven’t ever had issues getting it back at the end of a flight. Only an instance where it just took a bit longer than expected, but still got brought out before the last passenger had deboarded.

@beemac I live in Brooklyn. We bought a stroller without bassinet and regretted it thinking we would keep him in the car seat. Car seats are NOT comfortable for babies. Luckily we were able to purchase a bassinet add on to our stroller. Also car seats are firm for protection. This could add to baby flat spot. Both of these are somethings to truly consider.

Now if you truly like the Bugaboo go for it but maybe get a used Baby Zen Yo Yo with newborn setup. They’re in the bassinet for such a short amount of time and the Yo Yo is sooo compact.

Hope this helps from a fellow FTM city mama ☺️

Back