married2aliar

Being a plus size momma I wanted to share my graduation experience with others that may be nervous about what to expect.

Some details beforehand:
  • Pre-pregnancy weight: over 300lbs
  • I have an apron belly
  • I have a skin condition Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS)
Before I was to get pregnant I went to my OBGYN to discuss and she told me I'd immediately be considered high risk due to my BMI. She also suggested losing at least 50lbs before even trying to get pregnant. We were not actively trying but we were also not trying to prevent it from happening. A few months later, I found out I was pregnant. Luckily, that OBGYN was moving across the state so I needed to find a new one. I looked for an OB that would be more body inclusive and found a great one.

Pregnancy was pretty tame overall. I had an Subchorionic hemorrhage at 5w and again at 11w but it resolved itself by 13w. What made my pregnancy 'high risk' was the diagnosis of GD at 11w due to a slightly elevated a1c. I had done keto pre pregnancy so the diet change for GD was not a hard transition for me. I was diet controlled throughout my pregnancy for meals but did ultimately end up on insulin for my fasting numbers.

Since the 20w anatomy scan my baby had measured over 90th percentile, despite the GD being well controlled. By 32w my doctor was recommending C-section due to the percentile. I know there is controversy in the accuracy of those scans, and did a good bit of research before ultimately deciding on getting the C-section. The incision would be under my apron belly, and I was worried about the HS causing issues because that is a problem area. The HS flare ups also increased my entire pregnancy due to the hormones.

When I decided on the C-section my doctor said they would put a wound vac on the incision to assist in keeping it dry because of the apron belly. I was scheduled for a C-section at 39w3d on 8/21.

When I got to the hospital they were quick to get me to the back to start prep. Another thing worth noting is I am an extremely hard stick when it comes to getting bloodwork. It took them TWO HOURS to get an IV in me. That consisted of 3 nurses attempting twice, two anesthesiologists trying twice with an ultrasound machine (we successfully got 1 IV that then became compromised and filled my arm with fluid.) After that they brought in the PIC team who were finally able to successfully get two IVs in me.

Once that was done, they took me back to the OR room. Everything you read is true, it is super cold and bright. They had me slump over to get the spinal in. They attempted that 3 times before getting it in successfully. Almost immediately I felt warm and pins and needles. Because of my apron belly they used two straps to essentially hold the skin up so they could work, those straps stretched all the way to either side of my head. They brought my husband back. I did not feel any of the tugging or pulling others mentioned, but I did smell the burning as they cut through the layers. I also did get the chills throughout the procedure and was shaky. The OB asked my husband if he wanted to see the water break, and I could hear the gasp as it broke and my husband said it shot up like a geyser. After that things moved quickly. I heard my baby boy cry and they brought him over with my husband to the warmer to clean him and do what they needed to. Because of the straps I wasn't able to do immediate skin to skin, which was my only negative of the procedure. My baby weighed in at 9lbs 9oz - close to my OBs estimate of 10lbs. He also had a head size of almost 15" so everyone that has seen him said I did the right thing with the C-section.

After the C-section I was brought to recovery for a few hours where they monitored us. Baby passed his sugar tests. I was only allowed ice chips. When I got to the postpartum room I continued with ice chips and we essentially skipped over the liquid diet and I was eventually allowed to order food but nothing greasy or spicy and I handled it well. The rest of the stay was uneventful. I was up and walking around that night, maybe 5-6hrs after the procedure. Be aware that you still have the good drugs in your system so you'll think it's the easiest thing in the world. When they wear off you will feel the pain. By day 2 I wasn't as mobile as I was the first day. I think the hardest thing was peeing for the first time after the catheter was removed. I went almost to the limit before they had to go in there and get the pee out before I peed and it was a really bad feeling. The wound vac was working, they added on a lidocaine pump for the area for pain. We ultimately stayed 3 nights. My OB wanted to discharge after 2 nights, but since my insurance pays for 3 and we had access to a nursery so we could get some sleep, we decided to stay. By the end we were both ready to go. My husband hated the couch, I was tired of being cooped up in a room.

Some advice for other mommas:
  • Don't forget about the pain regime when you get home. It's easy to forget when your sole purpose is to now take care of a baby but at least for the first day or two home, stick to the pain plan. I was given Tylenol, Motrin and robotussin in the hospital. When I got home I was just taking Tylenol a few times a day.
  • If you have sensitive skin or HS bring depends to the hospital. The mesh panties and pads they give are great, but it did cause an HS flare up on my thigh from what I assume is the chafing.
  • Get up and move as much as you can, especially the first day when you have those extra drugs. That definitely helped but be aware of what you're doing so you don't do too much and overexert yourself.
  • Don't be afraid of an elective C-section. I never had some grand plan for the birth, I just wanted him healthy. Once I mentally prepared for the C-section, I wouldn't have it any other way. It is not the 'easy way out'
I got the wound vac taken off yesterday, a week after my C-section. The incision looks great but they did say there is either a slight fungal infection or HS flare up so I am currently treating that. Baby boy has lost some weight at the hospital because we are struggling with breastfeeding. Do not be afraid to supplement with formula. I was very off put by it at first, fearing I'd be judged but as they say 'fed is best' and you have to do what's best for your baby. Now that we're home, I breastfeed and pump during the day and then pump and give him formula at night since he seems to sleep longer with formula which means we get a little bit more sleep at night. I am sure that's not the perfect way to do this, but this is what is working for us. His latching gets better every day. I pump .5-1oz per breast each pumping session. We are all doing great. I hope this story helps people that were worried and anxious like me feel better about going into their birth. Feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to share.

@married2aliar Thank you for sharing! I also have an apron belly, started at 315ish and am currently 36+5 and 298, and I was wondering if I'd be able to have the C section if needed. It's encouraging to see you've been doing well!

Fortunately I have had a very uneventful pregnancy, I never developed GD, blood pressure was trending high right before I got pregnant (unplanned 😬) but has been managed through medication throughout, and baby is measuring in the 50-something percentile as of my final growth scan yesterday.

The plan is to induce me at 39 wks and try natural labor, but I am not opposed to the C section if my body doesn't cooperate, haha. I've never been one to see c sections as the "easy way" (what a dumb thing to think), and this is my first and only, so at this point my main concern is getting myself and the baby through this in whatever way is best for us.

Congrats mama!

@richard373 Thank you! I think my biggest fear was trying to labor and then needing to do an emergency c-section. I know that’s rare for it to be an actual emergency but that was my biggest fear. Glad you are doing great in your pregnancy! Wishing you an uneventful labor as well ❤️❤️

@married2aliar Thank you for sharing! Btw, with the apron stomach, when did you start ‘showing’ or feel your baby move away from the pelvis and upward? I feel like there’s no information out there talking about the physical differences in an apron stomach pregnancy… nor can I find many progress photos

@rickardoholmes I wish I would have taken photos. I didn't feel like I looked pregnant most of my pregnancy. I'd say around 30w I started feeling like I was showing. By 33w the top part of my stomach was 'hard.' The funny thing is the apron belly obviously doesn't have baby in it so that still hangs under your stomach and I feel like it sagged a bit by time the pregnancy was over. It's definitely not a 'picture perfect' belly that you see everywhere but don't feel like you're any less of a momma because of it. I still did maternity photos when we went on our baby moon, even though I wasn't showing in the typical way women do.

Back