Going back to work… Need pumping help

cjwolf

U. G. H.

I am a FTM and EBF my baby this whole time. He’s gained weight perfectly, nurses great, and is a healthy boy. When I pump, I nearly get NOTHING. On a lucky day I’ll get 3 OZ total from both sides. Half the time, I pump and nothing comes out. I know I’m producing milk. I can squeeze myself and I will shoot out milk like a cow… What am I doing wrong? I go back to work in 3 weeks so i have been trying to start a habit of pumping. I’m so frustrated and feel so defeated. I have the Mom cozy S12 for pumping reference. Any advice helps…

@cjwolf Obligatory: double check the flange size.
  1. Some people have better luck starting the letdown manually and then pumping. Just massage and pinch a couple times to get the letdown started.
  2. Wearable pumps often aren't as effective as hefty pumps. They have they advantages, but most LCs recommend not using a wearable as your main pump.
  3. If you aren't already, incorporate massage into the session. You may have to pump one side at a a time, but it makes a huge difference!
  4. Breast hotpads can be super helpful too.
  5. Removing stress, easier said than done. Of helps sometimes to not look at the pump while pumping and just pretend it's a "practice" pump.

@cjwolf Try a pumping meditation on YouTube. I had a similar issue when I tried using a manual pump for the first time. I could get 5 oz from my Spectra but only drops from my manual pump. Also try calling the company to get replacement parts and make sure you have it set up correctly!