Glass bottles keep cracking

@pokerfaceblonde I’ve never heard of a glass bottle cracking, that sounds very concerning. Maybe toss that batch and get different ones? Our daycare warmed bottles in a bottle warmer that got very hot sometimes and our bottles never cracked (Dr Browns).

@bible_follower I've been using glass avent bottles for 18 months now and the only time one has broken is when I smashed it against the side of the sink while shaking the water out. We've used a bottle warmer, the microwave, hot water in a mug or bowl, and hot tap water. They have never cracked. I'd toss the Mason bottles and get a reputable bottle brand like avent or Dr browns who make glass bottles that are meant to be warmed

@pokerfaceblonde I’m a formula mom so it’s probably a bit simpler for me, but I pre-mix a large amount of formula in a large container and pour into bottles throughout the day.

When I exclusively pumped, I would pour the milk from each pumping session into a mason jar. That milk would make meals throughout the day and any leftover would be frozen.

I’ve sadly never breastfed, so hopefully someone else will weigh in, but I think the pitcher is not much different than what you’re doing now- which is storing the day’s milk for bottles in the fridge. You’re just currently pre-portioning them.

@hollyoyo That’s what I was confused about. How it was different from what I’m doing now. But it sounds like it’s not, you’re just combining into one container. I guess the trick with pumped milk is you want to bring it down to the same temperature before combining. So I guess have two Mason jars? One smaller one for the freshly pumped milk and a larger one to dump the milk into once it’s cold. That would definitely save space. And I would be cleaning less jars if I’m not warming in the same jar as I’m storing.

@pokerfaceblonde Yup- not that much different, but more fridge space and sounds like fewer dishes for you.

You can definitely have a cooling jar and a collection jar. The CDC recommends not pooling warm and cool milk, so that would be in keeping with their recommendations. My understanding is that this is based more on hypothetical risk than documented cases of illness. Some people choose not to pre-cool and just dump it all together.

I measured the temp of my jar before and after adding warm milk and felt reassured it was ok- but definitely that is a personal risk assessment I made, that you might not feel comfortable with.

ETA: the pumping subs are awash with opinions on this, as you might imagine.