Giving in to fat vs pregnant belly

godswill4me

Ok, weird title, but here is what I mean. I’m 228 lbs at 5’-5 and 12 weeks + 5. I already had a belly prior. Not enormous, but decent. I carry weight proportional though. I’m at a point where I’m bulging slightly on the top of my belly only. I got some maternity shorts and a few tanks/t-shirts, but I feel weird wearing them cause it’s like I’m going from zero to 60 in two seconds. Does that makes sense?

At what point did you guys just let your belly hang and pretend it was all pregnancy? lol if I use the shirts and shorts it looks rounded so I dunno why I’m being all weird lol it just feels weird I guess, like I’m not far along enough to show and I’m cheating or something.

Help 🤣😬

@godswill4me Before I was pregnant, I'd get those comments every few months, usually from strangers in the grocery store-- when are you due?! Now that I actually am pregnant, I have Not. Gotten. A. Single. One. 😂

@zonderzug Omg SAME!
I feel like I am obviously visibly pregnant and no one asks! But when I was just fat people would occasionally ask "when are you due?".

Also no one is polite or considerate, which was a little surprising, I don't know if it's cause no one cares or because I'm fat 😅

@godswill4me 13 weeks. I went to put a pair of jeans on and there was no way they were buttoning. I said screw it, bought some maternity pants and embraced being comfy. At 22 weeks my bump is much more prominent, but I don’t regret just owning my belly so early.

@sylviaduncan Thanks! I guess I’m just not looking forward to the attention I’ll get from family when suddenly I show up with a bump when there wasn’t one before. Even though I’d just seen them the other day.

@godswill4me Honestly even though it felt super obvious to me, it took a while for other people to really notice. The only exception was the one bodycon maternity dress that I hyped myself up to wear.

@sylviaduncan I never care about what people think but this is such a weird hang up for me. I think because my husband and I spent our whole relationship saying we wouldn’t have kids so people would leave us alone and now I’m pregnant (planned) and it just feels weird. I don’t want the attention from my dad lol he’s super psyched and annoying about it.

@godswill4me I bought some maternity leggings when I was about 16weeks but hardly ever wore them until now. I’m 22weeks as of today and I have really let my belly go with the flow. I can still wear my pre-pregnancy jeans, but they cut me in half and I’d rather be comfortable now. I think wear whatever you want to in order to be comfortable, it doesn’t matter how “early” you are into pregnancy. Everyone’s body is different, especially during pregnancy.

@tracy67 Does the cutting you in half bother you? Pending the day, the maternity wear feels better and then some other days I’m happier with my regular clothing. It kills me, cause I never know what kind of day it’s going to be lol.

@lone_disciple The cutting me in half is only if I sit down, so if I know I’m going somewhere and won’t sit down very often or for a long time I’m fine with jeans. I love my maternity shape-wear that I got, it’s super comfortable and I can wear it under anything, also makes me look more pregnant than just fat lol it even helps with the “being cut in half” feeling that I get from my jeans. Most of the time these days I’m wearing a baggy shirt and sweatpants/maternity leggings.

@godswill4me I'm definitely leaning into it now at 18 weeks even though I think 95% of my bump is just fat and bloat. I've been wearing more bump-accentuating clothing for about a month now and people have made comments that I'm bumping, so I'm clearly already pulling it off despite it not really being baby bump haha. Go for it!

@godswill4me I didn’t embrace the belly until just about 19 weeks. I could tell that I had a bump at 15-16 weeks by the hard touch, and my lower abdominal budge was more centered. So for that reason, I had to start wearing already high-waisted, stretchy bottoms and maternity bottoms, or long skirts.

But then within week 18-19, bebé grew substantially and my uterus moved about 3 inches upwards. So now my bump is much more obvious at 20 weeks now, mainly because it’s higher. Clothes are fitting very differently and I need more maternity-specific bottoms compared to the high-waisted, stretchy bottoms I already owned.

I was on vacation in Mexico this past week, and the new attention I got from my bump was interesting. Lots of “que lindas” and “que Dios te bendigas.” Only two belly touches (which is good luck in some Mexican cultures). In high stress situations, letting folks know I was pregnant got helpful accommodations, which was a godsend, since traveling can be so exhausting as is. Many may have assumed I was farther along than I was and perhaps I was granted more special attention, but I just embraced it.

Don’t feel like you are deceiving people for letting them think you’re farther along than you are, since maternity clothes can round out your waist more cleanly. Those are their assumptions, and you aren’t responsible for their thoughts. Wear what’s comfortable and makes you feel good.

@godswill4me I'm 20 weeks now and I've embraced the belly. I've always carried a lot of weight there and at first I felt uncomfortable, like if I told people I was pregnant they would look at my belly and assume I was a lot farther along. Now that it is firmer and rounder, I feel more okay about people noticing it. It's definitely bigger than a 20 week belly would be on most people, but the rest of me is bigger than most people too.

@godswill4me Around 8 weeks my pants were tight, by 10 weeks I was always unbuttoned or doing hair tie trick. At 12 I got 1 pair of maternity pants & 1 pair of shorts.
Now at almost 21 weeks all I can wear are sweats or maternity pants/shorts. And honestly I wish I would've just gotten them at 8 weeks instead of trying to make it in uncomfortably tight pants!!

Everyone is different, if your pants don't fit don't be afraid to grab yourself a cheap pair or maternity pants (Walmart has some super cheap that are decent).

@godswill4me I started looking pregnant at 15 weeks and found maternity shirts with the ruching helped immensely. Now at almost 28 weeks I swear if I dropped a rock near my midsection it would begin to orbit at this point. I’m all boobs and belly and only gained 10 pounds so far. I’m similar to you at 250 pounds pre-pregnancy and 5’7”. You’ll be glad you bought the maternity clothes early I think because now it’s the only stuff I fit in and I don’t think I would have bought it with only 90ish days left (oh crap ha).

@godswill4me I'm letting mine hang now at 8 weeks. I'm extremely bloated and my pants don't fit anymore. I typically carry my weight in my arms and legs, so the belly is an adjustment.

Back