GD Diagnosis

silvershadow

Hello! Has anyone here been diagnosed with gestational diabetes early into their pregnancy? I'm 13 weeks 4 days with my first pregnancy and I just got diagnosed today. For reference I'm 33 y/o, 5'5 and weigh 322 lbs (according to last check up) with PCOS. I guess my questions are: were you able to manage the diabetes through diet and exercise alone? How did you feel throughout it? Was the baby impacted in any way? I appreciate the help so much!

@silvershadow I was. I started insulin soon after as after they reviewed my food intake, there weren't any changes to make. Insulin helped so so much, while I hated injecting 5x a day and testing 6x a day, it kept my baby safe and healthy and he had no blood sugar issues after birth

@silvershadow No problem. Honestly try not to stress too much, no amount of stress will remove the diabetes. Even if you end up taking insulin, I promise it's less of a big deal than you think. And it's not a failure. I know it can feel that way because of all the social messaging around weight, diabetes and insulin, but honestly fuck that noise. You're going to have a healthy baby and the doctors will help. That's all there should be to it. I know it's hard to think that way, believe me, I know... But having gone through it, if only I could have told myself this in the beginning too.

@silvershadow You're welcome. And P.S. if you do go on insulin, you will most likely be able to come off it after pregnancy. I actually had pre-existing type 2 diabetes before getting pregnant and my blood sugar normalized literally the next day after delivery and haven't needed insulin since. It's just that the placenta screws with your blood sugar AND the blood sugar targets during pregnancy are extremely strict (basically they want to imitate a body that doesn't have diabetes at all) out of an abundance of caution for the baby. My bub was born perfectly healthy, didn't even have low blood sugar at birth (which is sometimes a risk in diabetic pregnancies but also extremely easily fixed by just giving him some formula or breastmilk at birth). Anyway, a big hug!

@yytg12 Same for me. I tested for 2 weeks after delivery and my numbers fell DRAMATICALLY at about 48 hrs post delivery. Gonna bring a CGM to put on again after my csection this time and excited to see that happen again haha.

@yytg12 I would just keep a cautious eye on that sub. I’m on it too but there are a lot of non-plus size women on there that are very concerned gaining/loosing weight and lots of talk of diets/restrictions (which is to be expected) but it can get kind of triggering at times. Like I just saw a post about someone who is now 200 lbs and the comments are…not it.

@ayanda That's true, op, I would be careful of that too. Fatphobia permeats everything. Even in the "pregnancy for people with pre-existing diabetes" sub, some T1 diabetics harp on about how they're so "brittle" and "tiny" and have to force themselves to eat and have always maintained "healthy habits and it shows". Yeah, because your body is still sensitive to insulin so it's not stockpiling fat like there's no tomorrow. Anyway, you always have to be careful and not get swept up in fatphobia shaming. Literally in every circumstance in life. It's the worst. But yeah I stopped going to the r/gestationaldiabetes because of the "you're not really diabetic like those other people with diabetes who are actually gross" narrative.

@yytg12 Here's a sneak peek of /r/GestationalDiabetes using the top posts of the year!

#1: Graduated | 18 comments

#2: When baby is born, I'm going to tell people "In lieu of flowers, please bring carbs."

#3: Tell me you've graduated without telling me you graduated 😆 | 36 comments

[sup][sup]I'm[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]a[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]bot,[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]beep[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]boop[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Downvote[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]to[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]remove[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Contact[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Info[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Opt-out[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]GitHub[/sup][/sup]

Back