Freshman and bad grades

@antcart Volunteered at every cross country race, volunteered at every band event, was one of the maybe 5% of parents that showed up for back school night. Checked his grades and trying to find support. Paid $2000 for his band trip. Definitely a terrible parent, hilarious.

@sandgroper101 These examples do not make you a good parent. You are punishing him instead of helping him. You are putting more stress on him by threatening a financial hole that will just add more worry and anxiety on a kid already clearly struggling. Talk to him. Find out what the problem is before using tactics that scream "This is your fault". THAT makes you a horrible parent

@sandgroper101 That doesn't mean anything when you see he needs help with school and your first reaction is to take away all his electronics, internet privileges that could actually help him learn, and tell him he has to pay almost 800 dollars. How in the blueberry fuck is he meant to get that much money? And even if he somehow did have it, why should he give it to someone who only makes his life worse? You are the reason he's failing. You're putting shit loads of stress on him and taking the internet from him, the one thing that could help him because you won't. You're practically forcing him to fail, then getting upset at him and punishing him more.

What about any of that screams "hey, I'm a good parent"?

@sandgroper101 We had a pre finals coffee and chat with the head of 9th grade at my son’s school. My son, after a bit of a socially rough entry (he was home schooled for middle because it was pandemic times) took to school easily. But he was in the minority. Every parent was freaking out, which made their kids freak out and everyone seemed to be in some adjustment period and panic. Parents and teens alike. Kids who had As suddenly are failing. It’s different for every kid.

The dean for 9th said it best: this is normal. It’s not the end of the world. No one is failing their future. If you need help reach out and work with the school and student.