First time pregnancy experience

thorpe

Navigating the 39-week and 5-day journey wasn't a breeze—from the initial challenge of Uterine Artery Resistance to the clandestine nature of our news. Despite my wife's eagerness to share with close friends, I urged secrecy until the first trimester's end. Come the 2nd trimester, a revelation: Uterine Artery Resistance, hinting at potential growth issues and the possibility of a preterm delivery around the 34th week. The doctor's disclosure nearly had me fainting, but in hindsight, it's a chuckle-inducing memory.
Fast-forwarding, subsequent check-ups and scans brought relief as the baby was growing as anticipated. Amidst some drama involving my wife's development of blisters and routine LDF tests, the decision was made to admit her on December 6, 2023.
On December 6, around 3 o'clock, my wife was admitted. The labor journey began with Foley Bulb induction at 8:30 PM, causing her pain throughout the night. Without inducing dilation, the Foley Bulb was removed in the morning, and a labor-inducing gel was inserted around 8 AM on December 7. Despite oral medicines and frequent gel insertions, the day progressed with no labor advancement. Around 8:30 PM on the 7th, a labor room check revealed minimal dilation. The attending doctor administered labor-inducing medicine but had to leave for another delivery around 10:30 PM. With plans to break the water at 4 AM on the 8th, my wife endured intense pain. Her low pain tolerance, a constant worry for me throughout the pregnancy, added an extra layer of concern during this challenging period.
Concerns grew with the persistent pain, leading us to decide on a Caesarian section(Though it didn't happen). The lack of dilation, coupled with the baby in the left occiput posterior position (known to intensify labor pain), and over 24 hours of admission with no progress, prompted this choice. I held a strong conviction that my wife wouldn't withstand the escalating pain any longer.
On December 8, around 1:30 AM, the doctor returned for a check-up, and we shared our concerns about the pain. She suggested an Epidural, to which we agreed. By 2 AM, the Epidural was in place, bringing relief to my wife. I took the opportunity to get some rest in my room until around 5-5:15 AM when I was summoned back to the labor room. The water had been broken, and my wife seemed to be managing well. However, during checks on the baby's heartbeat and uterine movements, a moment of concern emerged when the heartbeat dropped. The doctor warned that if it didn't return to normal, a C-section was imminent—a scenario we had prepared for the night before. By 9 AM, with no progress, I, feeling hungry and fearful of the operation theatre, opted to have breakfast, assuming the baby's arrival wasn't imminent. However, at 9:15 AM, a sudden urgent call from the labor room disrupted my meal.
Rushing back to the labor room, I find my wife in distress, nurses preparing to transfer her to the operation theatre. In the heat of the moment, I blurted out something foolish, earning a scolding glance from my wife. After five years of marriage, those familiar expressions spoke volumes—enough for me to recognize the need for silence. Believing that, in such moments, keeping quiet is the best recourse for any husband.
Entering the operation theatre was undeniably intimidating for me, no lies. Despite my preparation, fear loomed. Seeing the tray of surgical equipment, my instinct was to avert my gaze. Instead, I focused on my wife, providing unwavering support, ensuring she felt my presence. My mantra: Let the doctors do their job.
Due to the left occiput posterior (LOP) position, a team of around 5 doctors and 3-4 nurses were actively involved. Amidst the flurry of activity, I remained focused on my wife, providing constant encouragement as she endured excruciating pain, pushing with determination. In a surprising turn, the senior doctor drew my attention, revealing that the baby's hairline was visible. Unprepared for the moment, I proceeded, and there she was—my wife, legs spread, and the glimpse of our baby's head and hairline.
Damn! That was the moment—the pinnacle of my life! It brought an instant high-smile (IYKYK). Overwhelmed with happiness, words can't capture the depth of that feeling. I believe every father deserves the chance to witness such a moment. Credit goes to my wife who insisted I be in the labor room. It wasn't a sudden decision; we had agreed on it during our pregnancy, even if I hesitated initially.
With a beaming smile, I returned to my wife's head, encouraging her by sharing the news of our baby's beautiful hairy head, just as we had spoken about during our pregnancy. I wanted to convey that our thoughts and discussions were materializing. However, she, focused on bringing this little human into the world, seemed too exhausted to fully grasp the moment. At a point, she uttered, "I can't, I am exhausted," highlighting the toll the process had taken on her.
Finally, the doctor opted for vacuum delivery, using a suction cup on the baby's head. In a swift 2-3 minutes (or possibly less) of intense pushing, our baby entered the world at 9:56 AM. Throughout those crucial 20-25 minutes, my sole focus was on the safety of my wife and the baby, with no consideration of the gender. As the baby emerged, I continued to check on my wife's well-being. In a cute Malayalee accent, one of the doctors joyfully announced, "Ladki hui hai!"—knowing my limited Malayalam. Immensely grateful for the hospital staff who, with their familial care, made the entire experience truly awesome.
I couldn't believe it! Despite both my wife and I desiring a daughter, my intuition leaned towards expecting a boy. Well, I was wrong! And surprisingly, I was elated about being wrong—it added an unexpected twist to the joyous moment.
The doctor placed the baby on my wife's chest, and my immediate reaction was a heartfelt "Awwww."
The neonatologist conducted a check on the baby while the other two doctors attended the mother. In the next 20-30 minutes, everything was efficiently wrapped up.
I am immensely thankful to my wife! She proved to be a true badass during labor, and I couldn't be prouder of her. I recognize that I couldn't endure even 0.0001% of what she went through. She has been truly wonderful throughout this entire journey.
Now, that we have entered the journey of parenthood, I hope it will be great! We welcome into our lives: anxieties, sleepless nights, lots of body pain! Most importantly, we welcome our bundle of joy, our Daughter!

Back