Fighting mastitis

juliasimon

OK, maybe I’m being wildly optimistic, but my body has clearly been fighting mastitis for the past 24 hrs. Started to feel crappy yesterday afternoon and By evening had a slight fever (e.g., 99.1 degrees) and felt AWFUL (sore all over, headache, felt cold and couldn’t warm. Up). Took some advil and Tylenol (alternating) to get through the night and didn’t feel amazing but felt surprisingly OK. In the morning, my temperature had returned to normal. Then, so far today, I feel like symptoms are popping up again a bit and then receding. No fever but feel extra run down…

Ive read repeatedly that once you have a fever, it’s game over and you need antibiotics. But honestly, I feel like my body is still in this fight and could possibly win? Or am I being wildly optimistic. I def don’t feel wonderful but would really love to fight this w/out antibiotics if I can, esp bc i am allergic to penicillin:(

Anyone have any experience w/ this?? Thank you!!

@juliasimon I would recommend antibiotics. If you're feverish and symptomatic and it's impacting on being able to do things for yourself, your baby etc then just let medicine do what it does best.

I would say the newer your baby is, that you definitely need antibiotics, as you're at increased risk of complications in the weeks after birth.

If it still feels blocked you might also benefit from trying to drain the duct. Hot bath, lean forwards and get something that vibrates on it. Like a toothbrush or, you know, something else that vibrates. This will help encourage the blockage out.

Source : I work in healthcare. I also am a boober who's had proper shit mastitis.

@juliasimon I’d recommend checking out https://physicianguidetobreastfeeding.org/mythbusters/antibiotics-for-mastitis/
The current guidance from the academy of breastfeeding medicine advises close monitoring and BAIT (breast rest, Advil, ice, Tylenol) for 24 hrs. If symptoms are improving (including low fever that has resolved), antibiotics may not be needed. But personally I’ve done BAIT and also called my Dr so I have the Rx ready if things change and I need to pick it up

@paul1963 This is what i am currently doing - have the RX in my house now, so feeling safer about waiting, and symptoms do seem to be moving in the right direction but TBD. Thank you so much for this resource!

Back