Experience w/ slow hcg rise 5-6 weeks

h0peful4change

TW: miscarriage and child loss

Third pregnancy, trying not to spiral but also want to prepare myself.

5.5w hcg levels were just over 6000, and 48hours later they had only risen a little more than 1000 to 7000-something.

My OB wasn’t immediately concerned and wanted another draw (TBD), while also saying typically they want to see it close to double.

I had a MMC at 14w last year and lost my first child due to a birth injury, so I can appreciate that numbers can be meaningless while also wanting to be grounded in the facts.

Anyone have experience with slow rising betas? So much conflicting info online

ETA: beta update
5w3 6200
5w5 7400
6w3 15700

@h0peful4change I had slow rising betas that went from I think 19,000 to 21,000 in 48 hours. That was coupled with the fetus measuring 5 days behind (I was 6+4 and measuring 5+6). That pregnancy progressed to 8 weeks where we saw a heartbeat but then by 9 weeks there was no heartbeat. I know the rate of doubling slows down, but a 6 day doubling time seems slow. I’d probably remain cautious.

@singleloser50 Thanks. I asked for a scan today — no heartbeat yet, but yolk sac and embryo were seen.

Beta rose to 15,700+ today, so still a bit on the fence I think. Will be curious to know what doctor says but imagine it’s more wait-and-see.

@h0peful4change I am in the EXACT same situation. Currently in limbo after my HCg was barely rising. 3 previous losses.

At 5w4d I was at 4287 then 5w6d 5987, then 6w1d 6434…

My OB found a heart beat of 125bpm at 6w5d but baby was only measuring 5w5d. Now I don’t go back in until Nov. 7 🙃

OB sent me on my way and said to call if I start cramping and spotting. It’s total hell. Wishing you so much luck and sending allll the good vibes 🤍 keep us posted.

@weirdbeard The betas can be such a source of stress. What are you numbers/at what dates? Typically doctors say if they double or more in 72 hours it’s normal. Mine slowed dramatically. I found out what was wrong because my doctor sent out the products for genetic testing.

Sending you love, try to stay positive if everything is looking on track! I was measuring a week behind. Betas typically slow around 6k I believe!

@jamesc837 Unfortunately my doubling time is really bad. On 4/2 - 2018. 4/4- 2958. 4/8- 4824. I did the calculator and my first to second was OK I suppose but my second to third is terrible at 133 hour doubling time. I did it all down to the hour to get it accurate. I had my US on 4/12. According to my lmp I would be 6 weeks 2 days. The US showed 6 weeks 1 Day and the hb of 114. I've seen sooooo many people have a good 2-3 US but still a loss by 13 weeks with bad betas. My dr says it's all totally good and what others say is not right. But I don't know. I'm just so sad.

@weirdbeard I’m so, so sorry :( it’s so hard. Definitely guard your heart. I had a few strong US as well. This was actually my 4th loss. My 3rd loss was going perfect until my 9.5 week scan where we found out baby’s heart stopped around 7w5d. Sending you love and strength 🤍

@jamesc837 I just posted my whole story seeking advice. I'm hoping someone can help me understand better. I know the betas don't look good but I also dont understand my drs chart. My betas would have been too high to start. So I just don't get it.

@dbot222 For me, the pregnancy was not viable. It was an empty sac, sometimes referred to as a blighted ovum. There are a million other stories with different outcomes.

Sending hugs.