Endurance event @ 8 weeks

tresstylez

I just found out I was pregnant this morning and have my first endurance hike race in 4 weeks. This news obviously came at a surprise but I’ve been training around 10+ hours a week for this event since last November.

I’m doing 29029, which is a 36 hour timed endurance hike in Idaho where I have to climb 15 ascents in less than 36 hours.

I’ve read posts about hiking dos/donts here but nothing about endurance athletes and what’s safe and not safe.

Opinions aside, if I’ve been training this much for the last 4 weeks (and months) and cannot back out of this race without losing $6,000 out of my pocket with no refund - what would you do? Would you continue to do the race as planned?

@tampasteve Yes ❤️ I like that idea! This race is very healing for me and my journey and so I don’t want to opt out just because. I want to do my best and whatever that means I’ll be happy with

@tresstylez Speaking for myself, I’m only 4+5 but the exhaustion has killed me this week. I was supposed to do a 20k 1500m trail race this weekend and unfortunately am choosing to opt out. I also have a friend who ran a 50k at 5 weeks. So everyone is different. Be ready to be either like me or like my friend. have grace for yourself and your baby and only do what your body allows.

Prior to pregnancy I could easily be out skiing or hiking 5+ hours. I know I can’t do that now.

@tresstylez A further little warning, at 8 weeks, my friend would not have still been able to to the 50k due to nausea and fatigue. But just see what your body does!

@tresstylez I’m an experienced ultrarunner, including lots of mountain races. I personally wouldn’t have been able to complete an event like that at 8 weeks because that was the height of my first trimester nausea and exhaustion, but I know other people that would’ve been able to no problem. It very much seems to be an individual thing.

If I were in your situation and my medical provider was okay with it, I would personally probably attempt it as long as:
- there were plenty of safe opportunities for me to back out if I needed to
- I listened to my body
- If it’s largely in the backcountry (I’m assuming it is) I would make sure I have a fully charged Zoleo/InReach etc in case of emergency in addition to all the basic safety essentials (though I always have that)

@wordsword Good to know! During this race we thankfully go up the ski mountain and then down the gondola at a ski resort. There are multiple med professionals and multiple aid stations available as well. Sounds like since it’s in a single location this might be helpful instead of being multiple miles away from any help. Appreciate your opinion!!

@tresstylez Oh wow - at 8 weeks the tiredness usually does hit but there aren’t usually physical limitations at this point. I’d just be weary if the conditions are super hot. And of course hydration is very important.

@fighter10 Yes! Thankfully I’ve been training with my fuel and hydration eating Whole Foods and LMNT electrolytes so I have felt really good for the most part. I was planning on finishing the race in 26 hours but if it’s 36 hours I’m totally okay with that too

@tresstylez I would call my doctor and ask this question. There may be other factors to your pregnancy that we don’t know. Even if you haven’t had your first appointment yet, I would still ask this question to the doctor. For example, my office has a phone line I can call with pregnancy-related questions.

@tresstylez Everyone’s pregnancy is different and it’s hard to tell how you personally will feel on the day.
I have been completely knocked out from about 6 weeks and currently at 10 and starting to feel a bit better.
I would not have been able to do it at 8 weeks as I had to stop exercising completely. This seems to in general be when I feel the worst. But then my friend ran a marathon at 7 weeks pregnant.

The best thing to do is see how you feel the closer you get to the time. You
Might be one of the lucky ones and barely have any symptoms and just go on as normal or you could be like me and have all the symptoms and barely be able to make it out of bed.

Trust your own body and be gentle with yourself. You’re the only person who is able to tell how much you’re able to cope with.

Good luck and I hope you are able to do your race. It’s a lot of work training for races and a lot of time spent on it.

@tresstylez I felt great athletically at that point but started to struggle with nausea. Good thing is the easiest way to avoid the nausea was to eat small amounts of food regularly (rather than getting hungry and eating a big meal) which I expect is how you'd approach fueling for that length of event anyway.

There is some possibility that really pushing your body (like to the point of heatstroke/collapse) could be linked to miscarriage, but it sounds like you have the attitude of getting to the finish line comfortably rather than racing it so you'll be listening to your body.

Back