Empty nest syndrome after 17DD decides she wants to live with her dad. Who am I now, if not a mom? WTH do I do with myself?

davidjgreen

I have one bio kid (the 17yoDD), 15SD who doesn’t really like me and isn’t interested in having a relationship with me even though I just want to be there for her and give her love and who is here every other weekend and on Wed. and Thurs. nights) with my BF, 16SS/13SD (who I used to still have come spend weekends sometimes with me since I divorced their dad but helped raise them for a decade and didn’t divorce them so they’re still my kids. They don’t want to come over, though, unless 17DD is home.)

My world has revolved around 17DD for 17 years (in a healthy way, of course.) Every decision I made was scrutinized thoroughly (by me) because I knew it would affect her life. I was 18 when I married her dad, 20 when I gave birth to her. Being 20 years apart in age has actually been great. I was always her parent first, but the older she got, the closer we became and she’d confide in me and depend on me like a friend.

I live in Louisiana. Her dad lives in Georgia. He’s an airline pilot, so DD flies for free. She’s been able to fly to go visit him whenever his/her schedules allowed, and I never stopped her from visiting.

Her dad gave her a BMW for her 17th birthday, with the stipulation that she stay the summer with him to watch his 3 boys (from his 2nd wife) in order to work off the car. Definitely a fair trade. She didn’t want to go. Thought she’d be bored. She didn’t want to go most of the summer without being with me. She knew it was the opportunity of a lifetime, so went anyway.

Summer progresses. Since her stepmom isn’t there anymore, she’s more comfortable and feels more at home there. She finally develops a better relationship with her dad. She gets to spend time with her little brothers. She finds a job babysitting for some spending cash. She ends up with a boyfriend. Her dad finally goes “FB official” with a chick he’s been seeing, and honestly, she’s great and I’m happy for him. They all go on mini vacays to Las Vegas, San Francisco, wherever, especially when he has a long layover somewhere cool. DD is happy.

Over the summer, I get vibes from her that she’s considering staying in GA. She eventually tells me she wants to split her time half and half between us. Then it ends up being that she wants to live there and visit me when she can. The day before yesterday made it official. She registered for school in GA.

My heart shattered.

Logically, I get it. She has a chance to have relationships with her dad and brothers that she couldn’t before. He can give her a lifestyle I never could afford. She loves the area they live in better than where I live. She can be a “jet setter” and do spontaneous vacays and such, and drive around ATL in her BMW with her cute BF. She’s 17, and her priorities are different than before. It happens as you grow up and stretch out your wings.

My heart, though... I am devastated. I knew she’d move on in life, because that’s how life goes. I just figured I’d have that one last year, her senior year, with her. Her last year of dance (which I’ve been driving her to and from for the past 6 years) where she’d be able to do the special senior dancer presentation and performance. Prom. Her school here doesn’t do junior prom, so I’ve been looking forward to her senior prom. Waiting for acceptance letters to colleges in the mail.

Just. Being. Her. Mom.

For one last year...

Who am I now? What do I do with myself? I can’t crawl out of this depression and grief long enough to do any of the things I usually enjoy. I know I’ll “always be her mom”, but it’s not the same. I’m lost now. And after the news of her registering for school there, I feel like I’ve been emotionally kicked in the gut.

Sorry for the long post. If you’ve read this far, thank you. I’m just drowning in grief and don’t know what to do with myself. All I want to do is cry.

@davidjgreen It sounds like you did a great job parenting. She seems like a happy, healthy kid who is expanding her horizons. That's our endgame! You did good. So this isn't a parenting teenage question so much as a human being question.

Now, because you've done such a great job, once you process and grieve, you'll get the opportunity to recalibrate. We often need support in transitions, so where would you find that? Your homegirls, good books, your church, a therapist, a trainer, a life coach?

What would you tell your best friend to do? Do that.

@davidjgreen I think one of the reasons she wants to stay
It is because of her boyfriend which is normal. I have been an empty nester now for two years and I am still not over I ha e days where I just cry. I have three daughters and when each of moved out I mourned it like a death. I know that is not healthy but that is what I did. He

@davidjgreen I'm so sorry. I can feel your pain through your post. Is there anyway you can still be a part of her major milestones throughout her senior year? I know it won't be the same, but it may help?
You mentioned her dance. Is there any way you could get involved with her dance classes? Maybe as a chaperone? I'm sorry if any of these ideas sound stupid. I have no idea what it feels like to be in your shoes. I just I hope that your close relationship with your daughter continues in new ways & you are able to find ways to cope ❤

@fritzc Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. As for dance, she isn’t going to do it anymore. She decided not to register over in GA. Even if she had, I can’t afford to go visit her over there. I don’t fly for free since we divorced years ago. I don’t know how I can still be a part of any of her milestones from such a distance. 😢

@laurapalooza I hope I can do just that, once I can get over this grief. I’ve kind of resolved myself to thinking that I just need time and that hopefully with each passing day the grief will subside a little bit more and I can find myself again.

@davidjgreen If it takes more than 3 months, reach out for therapy. You may need to see several therapists until you find one who is a good fit.

Time does not heal all wounds. You can go into, say, a divorce forum and find people active who were divorced years ago and are stuck not moving on, using the Internet for validation of their resentment and hurt.

This is, of course, the worst time to be finding yourself because of the pandemic. My first piece of advice would have been to grab a community calendar and begin attending public events where you will find like-minded people (a hiking group, birdwatching group, scifi club, or whatever). In lieu of that, look on Facebook for local groups that might exist on your interests.

@davidjgreen A year ago my son decided that he wanted to primarily live with his dad and visit me. It was the most heartbreaking unexpected choice that I honestly never saw coming. It was initially a very hard beginning but eventually I started seeing a therapist that really helped me navigate how to be the not primary caretaker mom I never asked to be. It genuinely felt really unfair because I had prioritized this kid for 16.5 years and I was his mom and I just wanted him with me! I wasn’t expecting this and I certainly didn’t ask for this! It’s really hard but honestly my therapist has helped me so much and my son and I are in a very healthy place. I feel like I am the mom my son needs even if it doesn’t look the way I expected. Honestly this is hard and painful and I’m so very sorry that you’re going through this. I truly believe a good therapist has helped me the most in becoming the mom that my son needs in this stage. I wish you weren’t going through this but it’s not always this raw and hard.

@ephremhagos Thank you for showing me there is light at the end of the tunnel. It’s so hard for me to accept that there will be a new “normal” now. I just want things the way they were, just like you! But it’s out of my control now and I am going to have to talk to my current therapist about all this. I’m not looking forward to that session...

@davidjgreen My 18 year old son just moved out. He's my youngest. My oldest is 31, so I've been Mom for 31 years. I was expecting depression. After about 6 months, I've realized it isn't depression I feel. It's freedom.
Give yourself a little time. Be nice to yourself.
Also, this past year, my step-children (well, 2 of the 3) of 15 years have decided that I'm not the enemy. They come over, not because it's their weekend, but to see us.
My experience is, if you let the step kids grow up and develop their own opinion of you (not the opinion of the bitter ex) they will grow to love you as much as you love them.

Back