Early u/s should I rebook for 7 weeks?

felixcaleb

I had an early ultrasound last Friday. Typical LMP put me at 8+1 (last period 10 Sept) but I have PCOS and really crazy cycles so I had no idea how far along I was. Occasionally I have a cycle which is around a month so I wanted to go for an early scan so I had an idea of how far along I was as there could have been a really wide range.

The sonographer needed to do an internal @spiritualtranscendence and seen a gestational sac measuring about 2mm so he put me around 4/4.5 weeks.
I feel like I need to book another scan as the 12 week one feels so far away, plus while I'm 99% sure I was just really early due to pcos cycles, there is still the chance that it was measuring small/ no yolk was present because it is an unviable pregnancy.

My dilemma is although I'm dying to have an update I'm really cautious to not rebook too early as if I don't see enough progress it would be really disheartening. My partner's birthday is in early December and we are temporarily staying with my inlaws while our home is being renovated so it is getting hard to hide the early stage of pregnancy, things like not having a drink on his birthday will obviously look off. But equally I don't want to tell them while we are in this really uncertain stage.

Saturday 28th would be 3 weeks and a day after the first @spiritualtranscendence, and seems like it would then put me at 7 weeks or 7+a few. Do you think this is giving it enough time to make progress and have some reassurance on the scan or do you think it could make me feel worse?

@felixcaleb At 7 weeks with an internal scan, you really should see a heartbeat. I know some people question this (and maybe there are outliers) but at the very least you would see a lot of growth over the course of 3 weeks. I think it would be very definitive and that you should stick with that date. Best of luck! ❤️

edit to add if you are really worried then push it off to week 8. If there isn’t a HB by week 8 you will have your answer. I personally just have no chill or patience lol

@colier Same, literally zero chill or patience. I feel like you could always push it off another week to be sure, but doing it before my husband's birthday would just be so much easier as we don't have to hide it! We are going to be stuck at home celebrating at my inlaws home as we are currently in a shut down, so it will be very unusual for me to decline a drink the entire weekend.

I definitely don't want to rush just to be disappointed and uncertain again, but it does seem like 7 weeks & 3 weeks between scans would provide me with enough progress, if everything is going well.

@felixcaleb Anecdotally speaking I’ve been able to see heartbeat with two of my pregnancies very early. 1 at 7+1 with an abdominal ultrasound and the other at 6+0 with an internal. So I do feel like you will get answers at 7 + a few days. I tend to hide my pregnancies for a long time so I totally get your dilemma. You could try and fake drink at the in-laws lol Get the same drink as your husband and swap or poor some of it out occasionally 🤷‍♀️

@felixcaleb My dates were a little off for my first scan too. I went in when I thought I was 6 weeks and they only saw a gestational sac. I went back the next week and there was a little baby with a heartbeat measuring 6 weeks. I think 7 weeks should definitely be safe if you want to see some progress

@felixcaleb By 6 weeks 4 days, they were able to confirm viable pregnancy for me (saw HB) via an abdominal US. By 7 weeks+ they should definitely be able to see that or to confirm it is not a viable pregnancy. The limbo is truly the hardest part!!!

Back