Dumb question about pack 'n plays

lauri73

We are weenie parents and have not traveled anywhere with baby, but we'd like to break that barrier this summer after 1st birthday. LO has slept exclusively in the crib since ST at 7 months, prior to that used to do stroller, carrier, and contact naps. We have a pack 'n play that we've been using only as a playpen for safety when we need to be in the kitchen or bathroom temporarily. I'm worried that LO will not be able to sleep in the PnP because it's only been used as a play space.

Should we try to make naps happen in there prior to traveling? Put it in nursery next to the crib or would that be too confusing? Any other tips to make this big leap easier for us?

@lauri73 I would stop using it as a play space to break that connection. I would practice naps in it every now and then so she becomes more familiar with it as a sleeping area. You can keep it in baby’s room for this, and it may be easier for baby to do so.

@sweetlilbear I was afraid we'd have to do that (stop using it as play space), because we don't really have good options when we need to be in the kitchen (poor apartment layout) except to put LO in the playpen :(

@lauri73 Not a dumb question! My oldest had never slept anywhere but his crib since 6 months and we went away when he was 11 months at which point he needed to sleep in a pack n play. I brought his crib sheet and sound machine to try to make it semi-familiar. He actually did great. I think traveling and being out and about made him extra tired!

@lauri73 My son is 18 months and sleep trained since 4.5 months. He has slept in our pack n play and rented ones on vacations. We always bring crib sheets, sound machine and travel blackout blinds. Hasn't been an issue.

@littlegrain Hi, I’m Vetted AI Bot! I researched the ("'DREAM ART Portable Blackout Curtain'", 'DREAM%20ART') and I thought you might find the following analysis helpful.

Users liked:
* Effective blackout capabilities (backed by 4 comments)
* Easy to install and remove (backed by 3 comments)
* Blocks out light effectively (backed by 2 comments)

Users disliked:
* Weak suction cups lead to constant falling (backed by 11 comments)
* Inadequate size for standard windows (backed by 2 comments)
* Fabric not thick enough for complete blackout (backed by 1 comment)

If you'd like to summon me to ask about a product, just make a post with its link and tag me, like in this example.

This message was generated by a (very smart) bot. If you found it helpful, let us know with an upvote and a “good bot!” reply and please feel free to provide feedback on how it can be improved.