Did y’all take breaks during pregnancy?

hescomingsoon

And if so, do we think there’s a risk when you start back up?

I’m at 35 weeks currently, pre-preg I worked out 3-4 x a week lifting + cardio.

During pregnancy it’s been on and off due to fatigue and moving into a new house, but I’ve made sure to go 1-2 x a week.

However I’ve taken 3 weeks off and past 2 days I’ve been in the gym and am insanely sore ofc

I heard you’re good to “continue the same level of exercise” that you were at pre-preg, but does that reset at a certain point? Like is there any danger to taking 3 weeks off then resuming typical workouts?

@hescomingsoon I’m also 35 weeks. I took a long break between 24-27ish weeks after a bad cold and definitely missed some other weeks here and there. I haven’t been at my pre pregnancy intensity for a while now but still the same frequency of lifting 4x a week. My weights are probably only half of what I would use pre pregnancy because I’m tired most of the time just from the movements! I’ve felt some soreness but I think I’ve been at a level where it makes me feel better to work out than not. I’ve been dealing with hip and back pain, so some of my workout has shifted to exercises recommended by the pt I’ve been seeing. I do not need to do anything that makes my body more sore haha. How long and hard you continue to work out is individual for each person and pregnancy, but generally it seems like it’s not a problem if you don’t have other risks.

@hescomingsoon I think the “same level of activity” advice is moreso to prevent injury of trying something new or pushing yourself too hard.

My workouts have been wildly inconsistent because of back pain, SPD, and general fatigue. But if I’m feeling like I’m having a good day, I listen to my body and do as much as I can. I never try to hit 100% of my pre-preg numbers but instead try to get to 7/8 of my RPE.

If your body can handle three workouts in a week after some time off, that’s great. Pregnancy symptoms fluctuate so you have a good week, use it! But listen to your body, take breaks and don’t push through pain.

@hescomingsoon I'm only 7w5d but I'm taking a break right now because of nausea and dizziness. I have been doing some gentle stretching and going for walks, but I even got dizzy on my walk the other day. So for now, my usual workout routine is on pause until my body feels up to it.

@hescomingsoon I found the guidance on this annoying as well with my first!

Most of my first trimester was in a Covid lockdown, so between that and morning sickness I barely did anything. I think I had about 6 weeks off and was terrified of coming back, luckily I did and was doing 3-5 CrossFit sessions a week until the end. Baby was perfect and healthy.

@hescomingsoon I took a major break from about 4 weeks to 13 😅 was cleared to go back to what I’d been doing as long as it felt good. Kept a modified regiment up until 34 weeks when baby dropped and now feels like a bowling ball in my pelvis 🥴

@hescomingsoon I would take a break of 2-3 weeks every summer before I got preggo (traveling, going to festivals, etc) and the same would always happen. I would be insanely sore after the first workout, that’s just part of the game.

Now I’m 31 weeks and I’m starting to notice that I need way more time to recover and restore my energy levels than before pregnancy. For me, that means sleeping 9+ hours every night and swapping some lifting days with yoga so that I can recover. I guess that’s part of the game too.