Detergent build up and soft water

sanjaman

So I’ve got some detergent build up and having ammonia issues along with my baby getting really bad diaper rashes when using cloth. I just tested my water hardness and it’s soft (between 0-25). I was using regular tide powder in an HE top loader (using esembly agitator balls), but now I’m wondering if I should switch to a liquid detergent. Any recommendations for type of detergent and amount to use?

@sanjaman With soft water, that is way too much detergent. I would cut it in half at least. And probably do several water only washes to get the build up out. Then start washing on hot. Soft water is really tricky with diapers!

@sanjaman Are you doing a second rinse (with deep water fill, cold is fine) after your main wash? I had trouble with detergent buildup, ammonia, rashes (with appropriate detergent amount and hard water), and it ended up being a rinse issue.

@cees Everything I’ve looked up says it would most likely be detergent build up and when I do the swish test it’s definitely not clear. I wash every 2-3 days first cycle is normal warm/cold heavy soil level level 1 of regular tide powder and then the second cycle is normal hot/cold heavy soil level level 2 or 3 of regular tide powder.

@sanjaman Not an expert on wash routines by any means but sounds like too much detergent imo. I’ve always used liquid on my diapers and I shit you not I use 1-1 1/2tsp in the first wash, 1/2 tsp in the second wash for 0ppm water, no detergent in the third wash. I’ve used Persil Proclean since we started cloth with no issues (minus build up in the first month from using too much detergent.)

We recently moved to a new place and now have 100ppm and I’m using 10-12ml (2-2 1/2tsp) in the first wash, 5-7.5ml (1-1 1/2 tsp) in the second, none in the third so I upped it slightly and still no issues.

Since soft water doesn’t wash detergent out as well you do need a third cycle to ensure you’re getting everything out. You’ll want to add the largest amount of your detergent in the first wash, smallest in your second. I’ll usually check my last cycle to make sure there are no suds left.

Get a measuring spoon for your detergent, it’ll be your best friend.

First two washes should be hot/warm, last can be warm/cold.

@novawin87 I’ll have to play around with different amounts! I think I’m going to switch to a liquid because my washer doesn’t seem to be dissolving all the powder that well. And my washer only has cold, warm/cold, and hot/cold as an option for temps. I’m in a rental so it’s not the best

@sanjaman Do you ever have issues with the powder dissolving on your cold wash? Hot washes are typically better for discovering powder detergent (and are also better at removing detergent).

Edit: personally, I’di used this much detergent with my low ppm I would have residual detergent as well. I haven’t yet found the best spot, so I don’t feel comfortable recommending what I do. I use Kirkland F&C and am testing tide F&C as well

@minimonkey I haven’t noticed in my diapers, but when I use my powder in my clothes it tends to leave white streaks on my black clothes so I don’t think it’s fully dissolving. My washer only has cold, warm/cold, and hot/cold as options

@sanjaman You’re using a totally normal amount of high quality detergent. I don’t think you’ve been doing anything wrong in terms of detergent really

Any detergent with optical brighteners will make water look cloudy. Do they feel slimy or sticky or smell of unwashed soap when wet? Your hands are good at feeling soap.

I’d switch your first cycle to hot too.

How frequently do you wash? How do you store dirties?

@cees I wash every 2-3 days and i store in an open wet bag, but after a couple hours it starts smelling so strong. Like spicy and hurts my nose. I would say after I dry they smell like unwashed soap