Cozy blanket for bed sharing

davidjb

I recently upgraded my blanket for bed sharing and wanted to share with y’all. No one else can appreciate the challenge of finding a safe but cozy blanket for bed sharing!

I know some families go blanketless, but it’s winter here in Canada so that’s not an option for us. I have been using a thin duvet but wanted to upgrade to something safer. I was on the hunt for something thin, breathable, and hopefully still a bit cozy. Separately, I was admiring my baby’s cozy muslin swaddle blankets.

Fast forward to now: I bought two cotton muslin duvet covers from H&M in a soft green color. I popped one cover inside the other and voila! A grown-up sized cozy swaddle blanket! It is super breathable. With 4 fluffy layers of muslin it’s cozy and surprisingly warm. It’s also fairy heavy so I find it doesn’t move around while I’m sleeping so it’s easy to keep the blanket in a safe position. It wasn’t terribly expensive (each twin sized duvet set is $60 CAD) and bonus is that we were already sleeping with two twin sized duvets on a king bed, so when we’re done bedsharing we can use the duvet covers then too.

@laulee Not everyone agrees that blankets are safe, but Dr. James McKenna says one thin one is fine. We live in a cold climate so I wouldn’t get any sleep if I had to sleep without any at all. This particular setup seems safe because it’s super breathable and it stays put so it’s unlikely to end up over the baby by accident. A cheap, loosely knitted cotton blanket would do the same but wouldn’t be as cozy.

@davidjb This is nice! I don't have a link but my sister literally got my this giant soft stretchy adult sleep sack thing when my guy was tiny 😂 it was great I was like a bedtime caterpillar

Back