Correct Water Temperature for Mixing Powdered Formula - Conflicting Recommendations

@heidisolonely We did basically exactly what you're doing for the first 4 months. I know cronobacter infections are rare but we weren't going to take the chance. We boiled the water and then let it fall to 70C or 158F as a decent safe range and sterilized the formula in the pitcher and kept it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.

@prepkit We always mixed it and then put the pitcher right into the fridge.

Just as a reference point this is from the CDC website on prevening cronobacter: If you do not plan to use the prepared formula right away, refrigerate it immediately and use it within 24 hours. Refrigeration slows bacterial growth and increases safety

@heidisolonely I recommend talking to your child's pediatrician for advice tailored to local water quality and your child's health. Remember that governmental recommendations err on the safe side because they have to be applicable to most people in the country/world, but may be unnecessarily conservative if you are in a low risk area. My LO's pediatrician is very experienced and part of an excellent children's healthcare network, and she said that cold water from the faucet is fine because the risk here is very low.

@heidisolonely It's very low risk in countries with strict regulations for baby formula production and distribution, and for babies with healthy immune systems. My LO is actually a 33+6 preemie. His NICU team and pediatrician all said that powder formula and cold water are fine. His NICU team didn't specify the type of water so I asked the pediatrician for clarification after he was discharged.

Of course every parent has their own risk tolerance, and there's no harm in erring on the side of caution. (We use distilled or filtered water.) You also know the value of your own time and the opportunity cost of spending more time on one thing. Just stick with what you're comfortable with.

@heidisolonely Here in Taiwan, we were advised by the hospital to add the formula powder to 70°C then let it cool and feed immediately. The purpose being to kill any bacteria in the powder I think.

@heidisolonely I boil filtered water in my electric kettle. I add formula to sterilized bottles, then add the boiled water (still hot) to the bottles and mix. Using hot water makes the formula mix nicely. I then cap the bottles, put in cold water for about 5 minutes to take the edge off, then put in the fridge for p to 24 hours. Any bottle used for feeding that isn't emptied gets thrown out.

@heidisolonely Okay, so the thing is...it's not about water contamination, but requiring the water to be a certain temp in order to kill any bacteria in the powdered formula because it's not sterile.

Where I am, Canada ...we were told to boil for 2-5 minutes. No less. There were no instructions on when to add the water. But, after reading, mixing the boiled water immediately can possibly kill the nutrients in the formula, that's why they say to cool it some first. That logic does not work when some places say to cool to room temp lol

For the first few months, we typically followed the, boil and cool for no more than 30 minutes rule. We would then make up a pitcher and put it in the fridge and use within 24 hours.

Now...he's almost 6 months and I just use warm tap water.

@cantgetright Definitely, I have no concerns on water quality. I wish they would make it simple and one of the many agencies would just say you start to compromise the nutritional content of the powder at X degrees water temp. But here we are ... lol. 🤦‍♀️

@heidisolonely I use the jug of distilled water at room temperature and mix up 4-5 bottles at a time and store them in the fridge. My boy eats room temp or fridge cold, and had more reflux issues with a warmed bottle. My boy is 6 weeks old and I’ve used this method since he was 11 days old, which is when I gave up breastfeeding.

@heidisolonely Ive been boiling water letting it cool in fridge, then when i have time i pour desired amount into dr.browns pitchers, mix in Enfamil formula then store back in fridge for 24 hours. When needed we fill a bottle, warm (though lil man is ok with cold) and feed within 2 hours of warming/removing from fridge.

@heidisolonely I just use cold-ish tap water 😂

If I’m ahead of the game I’ll premake some bottles and pop them in the fridge, but I generally just make them as needed during the day, so just turning on the kitchen tap to fill the bottle and dumping in the powder. Kiddo drinks them either cold from the fridge or straight from the tap. I’ve never boiled or used distilled water since our tap water is fine to drink.

@heidisolonely Room temperature from filtered pitcher, kept in fridge 24hr, warmed to room temp for feeding. I don't see any reason to heat the water to any specific temperature, room temp just mixes best for us in terms of clumping

@heidisolonely We usually just provide room temp water. Babies do not need warm formula. Obviously if you have concerns about water quality I’d boil but if you’re using distilled bottled water I’m sure it’s fine. Cold formula is good too!

@heidisolonely I’m having this exact same experience, just started using powder yesterday for our 2.5 month old. I made 4 bottles yesterday after cooling to almost room temp kinda warm, then mixed and put in the fridge immediately.

Our Canada website states directions for both ways, using 70c boiled water “For premature and low birth weight infants under two months of age or infants with a weakened immune system” and boiled room temp water “For healthy, full‑term infants”.

My boy was full term plus 5 days, and he’s currently 14.5lb. Based on that it should be safe to use the room temp boiled? It’s so confusing!