Cleaning

kamleshchristi

When did y’all have time to clean? I have 6 month old twins and they don’t let me do anything. The most I can do is make myself and my partner something to eat that’s quick, wash their bottles, and load the dishwasher. I don’t have time to vacuum, dust, or clean the bathrooms. How did y’all do it? The only time I was able to clean was when my parents were staying with me to help with the babies.

Edit: my family lives in the east coast and I live on the west coast due to mental health. I decided to move this far from them plus a bad divorce from an abuser. My twins are both high needs babies and they are teething. If I leave the living room to the kitchen (the living room and kitchen are divided by a small wall) they both start crying. Also I have a lot of health issues that’s why I was asking for advice. I tried the while scheduling task but that doesn’t help.

@kamleshchristi Naps or after bedtime, but also you need to lower your standards. Hire a cleaning service if you can't. But what's your partner doing? Why are they not splitting the load?

@nobadee He works and he does the laundry, takes care of our pupper, and holds one of the girls while I’m holding the other. Whenever he can knock out a few bottles he does. They do not like to nap at all. It’s a struggle but I just figured out that I can put them on our bed to have them nap because they refuse to nap in their crib.

@kamleshchristi He needs to do more. He would be doing the laundry and taking care of the dog even if you didn't have babies. You also work - watching the kids. This shouldn't be all on you to figure out. With the bed thing, I know you're stuck, but it's not safe and I wouldn't do it. Join the twin Facebook group for sleep training, if you haven't already.

@kamleshchristi I have a service come in twice a month for actual cleaning.

My sister helps me with organizing things (swapping out clothing sizes and getting all the toys organized) every month or so for half a day to keep everything from being a disaster all the time.

@kamleshchristi Honestly, I hire a cleaning service twice a month and this is a huuuuuuge help. The main thing is they do the deeper clean stuff like scrubbing the bathrooms, dusting, and mopping. BUT i understand this is a luxury. If i could not afford this, I would honestly probably just do that stuff once a month. More often than that is just not happening right now. I do keep up with the basics everyday though. I spend about 20-30 min after we put the girls to sleep each evening doing a little cleaning up - wiping down the counters, sweeping, and tidying the playroom. It makes it so things stay manageable and it’s become such a part of my routine. I fold the laundry during the girls nap. I also keep a Clorox ToiletWand by each toilet, the kind with the disposable refills, so I can clean the toilet in about 20 seconds whenever I feel the need. I take advantage of any time that the girls are happy/occupied and I’ll get something done, like today for example I cleaned our fridge which took about 20 minutes while the kiddos played with some books. But they are a year old, and more independent than they were at 6 months, so give yourself some grace for now.

@kamleshchristi My twins love watching me vacuum in their bouncers, they’re about 5mo adjusted! Otherwise we have a weekend task list where we clean bathrooms, dust, wash bed linens and towels, etc. laundry and kitchen are daily chores. I clean for anxiety management, but hiring a cleaner is a great idea. We’ve had a monthly crew come before and it was lovely

@kamleshchristi Even once a month is better than never, right? Cursed with anxiety but blessed with ✨stress cleaning✨ it’s never easy but know even the clean freaks out there don’t judge with littles at home! This shit is HARRRRRRD!

@kamleshchristi I just didn’t do deep cleans very often. Last time I cleaned the bathroom was because one of them pooped in the tub so I scrubbed it and since I was already in there I just did the toilet and sink too. I’m basically always cleaning 😩 even if it’s just wiping something down or whatever.

@kamleshchristi We do a "turn down" after bed time most nights and we have a cleaner once a week who does a proper clean of kitchen, bathroom etc and mops the floors. It's expensive (£100 a month) but honestly it's so worth it - we cut out takeaways and made a few other changes to be able to afford it, and it's made a huge difference. My partner sometimes makes noises about cutting it when money is tight, but my view is that £100 month for my mental health is worthwhile spend 🙃

@kamleshchristi I don’t really have time to clean. All I can do is tidy up, wash dishes, etc. I do what has to get done and the rest just doesn’t get done.

I’ve also hired cleaners in the past, but then I have to have the house tidied up so they can actually get to the places they need to clean, and sometimes I don’t have time to do that, so even hiring someone can be stressful.

It’s a season

@kamleshchristi Robot vacuum scheduled to run at night every other day, schedule laundry, dusting, & dishes for nap time, and hire a house cleaner to do the heavy duty stuff (bathrooms especially). I will say that having 3u2 has made me a lot more conscious about where I’m putting my stuff once I’m done using it.

Edit: I also have a lot of health issues & live far from family, so I feel the struggle. Something small I’ve done that helps a lot is outsource my laundry folding. $60 per month for everything to get folded & sorted weekly is worth it for us. They pick it up from my house and drop it off 4-6hrs later. We average between 35-50lbs per week & not spending hours folding onesies and burp rags has been a major time saver. The place I use also does laundry as well if you so choose, so if I’m really bogged down, I can just get everything done for a little bit more.

Back