Cleaning toys

@claire4god I know and being that it’s our germs it’s not the worst thing In the world but I’m thinking maybe I should clean SOME of the snot grime off the toys

@fab01 Today I learned that people clean their kids' toys. Whoops. Unless it's visibly dirty, and sometimes not even then, I don't think I've ever cleaned them.

@paleochristian I mean
.. My toddler licks the stroller wheels when I'm not close enough to stop her. She's getting the yucky stuff anyway so why would I panic if a toy touches the ground at home, where we don't wear shoes?

@katrina2017 I USED to be the one who tried to clean once a week. I had no idea otherwise but it was exhausting with twins so I gave up. It’s more that this last week they’ve been covered in snot and just not a care in the world bringing strings of snot from their nose to the toys 😅 so there’s a part of me that thinks maybe just a little cleaning for that is all

@fab01 I’m curious how much washing/disinfecting toys meaningfully reduces the spread of illness. I’ve seen some studies that suggest while it does reduce bacteria on surfaces, it doesn’t necessarily lead to fewer illnesses, but those have been done in daycare settings.

Does anyone know?

@fab01 If you’re just cleaning visible gunk off toys as part of your regular routine, I would put anything hard in the dishwasher (by itself/only with other toys) and anything soft in the washing machine, and then spot clean any soft toys that can’t go in the wash with a fabric cleaner.

There’s no real need to clean ALL your toys for a cold, so don’t stress yourself out or feel like you’re doing anything wrong if you only clean the visibly dirty ones. Save yourself work!

@ligeia ThTs why I wanted to do a spray And go . My hands (carpal tunnel surgery) cannot get all the nooks and crannies so I just figured a little attention would go a long way

@fab01 I use the dishwasher for handheld toys that are hard plastic and if a soft toy meets its death in the washer it wasn’t meant to live in our house. I use the washer religiously. Many dolls and stuffed creatures have “gone to Santa for a new kid to be loved by” over time.

For large stuff that I just want to kill everything on it in between illness I use diluted bleach. I also use Lysol on hard surfaces my daughter isn’t likely to put in her mouth.

@fab01 Hydrochlorous acid spray, which is used in medical settings for cleaning and is human/pet safe. It kills bacteria AND viruses. I use it for kitchen, bathroom, and baby stuff.

I use Force of Nature to make it at home (because it breaks down fast, it’s not easy to buy and store). ETA: they have info on the science and efficacy on their website.

@fez Yes, I love love Force of Nature!! I’ve bought them for lots of friends. Hypochlorous acid is used in lots of skin care and wound healing products, so I also use it off-label to spray directly on skin as well. I love that it’s pet and child friendly. It is also proven to kill Covid on surfaces. Of course, now we know about Covid airborne transmission, so we aren’t wiping down everything, but I still like to know that it kills that virus.

I clean basically everything in my house with Branch Basics and/or Force of Nature.

Back