Can we normalize asking babies genders before assuming?

@linktogunner Yes, it's the hair length. People assume. My five year old's hair has grown super slowly - parts of it are finally starting to touch her shoulders. (She's frustrated by her lack of hair length.) She was often misgendered too. Don't take it to heart. Your kid knows her gender and she will assert it at the right age.

@militantagnostic101 Honestly I'm more bothered by this comment section now. You're one of few people that gets it. I mean, its annoying but I'm not going to go beat someone up over it like some people here are making it sound. But at some point, I don't want her to get frustrated, like your daughter is. I wish people would just use gender neutral terms or politely ask so they don't assume and make a mistake when referring to them.

@linktogunner I agree. I’m surprised so many comments saying let it go. Like it’s just a post sharing an annoyance. Just ask people if their child is a girl or a boy or don’t mention gender at all. “What a cute baby!” works just the same.

@kitneeee The "let it go" comments aren't even the ones that bother me. There's a lot on here that are just plain rude. And although gender is based on their genitalia, her genitals was not what was on my mind when I thought about this. It's weird that people mind went straight to that..

@linktogunner My 3.5 boy has never had a haircut. He has BEAUTIFUL curly hair that’s about shoulder length. Typically I put it in a ponytail or braid. He looks all boy, is built like a tank, and people still call him a girl. I just think it makes them look silly. I always just say something along the lines of “I wish I had hair like my son, it’s gorgeous and I’m jealous.”

@sergeysidorec She just hardly have any hair... and I don't want to do piercings at this age. She would pull at them and she's a rambunctious toddler so I'm worried one would rip out. I'd rather wait until she's old enough to take care of them or at least not touch them all the time.

@linktogunner I think this is honestly something you need to learn let roll off your back! My boy is 4 with chin length curly hair and everyone assumes he's a girl and he literally could not care. There's enough stress as a parent without getting hung up on the little things

Back