Can I/should I ask NICU not to give my baby formula if we have enough EBM?

@belinda02 This is great advice. Thank you, I will tell the charge nurse. I found out later THERE WERE NO DOCTOR’S ORDERS to switch or “transition” to formula. She either made a mistake and tried to cover it up, or she straight up decided to go against our wishes and feed him formula of her own accord.

Either way, pretty shitty.

@imchad Ya. It sounded like it but I didn't want to assume. Im sorry that happened to you. Baby being in the NICU was definitely the hardest thing I've ever been through, and I'm sure that's everyone. Its so hard. You're advicating for your self and your baby and that's all you can do.

@imchad My NICU fortified my breast milk and also gave my daughter two feedings of enfacare 22 cal towards the end. They said because she was born so early, it had nutrients she missed out on by not having a third trimester. However, you are the parent. You get to make decisions and you clearly know your baby best. As an aside, I was never able to do 8 pumps a day. I recommend doing six and getting six hours of sleep. That was the most I could get without getting really engorged. Then I’d nap in the evening as well.

@aaron57 Thank you for this! So helpful. And yes, I appreciate the commiserating on the unrealistic pumping schedule. Great rec. I seem to average 5-6 pumps and getting 6-7 hours sleep (and a nap when I can fit it in) actually seems to increase production too.

@imchad My babies had reflux until they were about 35 weeks gestation. My breast milk was being fortified. Now they hardly ever vomit. Usually just a one off random thing. Maybe your babies are just tiny still?

@eb3 Do you suspect their reflux had to do with the fortification? Or cause they were still developing? They slowed down his feeds from 40 to 90 minutes and he stopped vomiting, at least until they dumped a whole bolus of pure formula (low-fat cow’s milk and GMO corn syrup solids).

@imchad I think it was developmental for sure. They were so tiny that even purely breast milk days caused reflux. There was also just no way to guarantee no air gets in with the feeding. For one of my twins specifically, his feeds had to be given over a much longer amount of time or he would barf all over the place. I think the longest was 90 minutes and ever so slowly we got it down to 30.

My boys just hit 4 months and I do not notice any stomach issues when fed breast milk vs formula. (I have to combo feed my twins as I don’t make enough)

The one thing I DEFINITELY notice is their preference of taste. They love breast milk! When I give them formula they make a “what the hell is this crap” face.

@eb3 LOL. Ok, I appreciate the heads up about preference! Is it ok to mix the two in one bottle?

Also, my son is also on 90 min feeds. Makes our stays at NICU super long, and I go 2x a day, so essentially 4 hours at NICU every day.

Haven’t yet figured out how to get regular naps and walks and things like paying bills and house chores in.

@imchad You can absolutely mix them together. My husband chooses to when he makes bottles. I don’t. I feel like if it was me I would rather enjoy one delicious meal and one iffy one rather than mash them together lol.

In the end it doesn’t really matter, they eat both just fine and are always content afterwards.

@imchad Communication is key. Something must have been lost in translation to you, where you weren’t given an option or nothing was discussed. For me, my baby was born via c section. I wasn’t even thinking about feeding after surgery. I think they followed up with me 2 hours after surgery (once she was delivered I think it took another 30 minutes to close and I was probably back in my room within an hour of her delivery) and told me that my daughter already had a bottle of formula within her first hour of life. While disappointed, I was grateful she was fed. My milk also took about 3 days to come in. She was born at 34 weeks. When I asked about donor breast milk, I found out my hospitals policy was that they used donor breast milk for premies under 34 weeks and those over 34 weeks were given formula if mom could not provide breast milk. When my milk came in, she was already eating more than I produced so they always mixed what I provided with formula. The neonatologist also followed the case and gave me formula sheets for fortified breast milk with formula (which is what she had in the NICU). It’s hard because this was my first childbirth and I never expected a premie. I would have never thought to ask questions on hospital policy for premie birth or how they do things in the NICU. I think that’s your first thing. Make it known that you weren’t aware of this change nor given chance to consent and you would like to know the hospitals policy. The charge nurse should speak to you.

@jsheaven Thank you for sharing your story, and I’m so sorry you weren’t given any options either. This too is my first birth, my water broke early, I was in hospital for 3 weeks before he was born at 31+5 weeks, and DBM was discussed but formula wasn’t. You’re right. It’s hard enough trying to do all the right things and go with the flow while trying to also be savvy and even know what questions to even ask!

I so appreciate you sharing your newfound savvy with me. 💕

@imchad Like you, I pumped every 3hrs and made more than enough milk for my nicu twins. Our nicu only used formula before I was able to produce but as soon as I had pumped milk, that was exclusively provided and only supplemented in the very early days if there wasn't enough. Pumping this early and having a nicu baby is SO rough and suffering, I would personally make a huge stink if they used formula over my milk. You have to tell the the medical team, nurses and the neonatologist.

@imchad My little girl was getting straight breast milk for about 2.5 weeks. Her weight gain wasn’t the best and they were about to start her on fortified breast milk but she was then transferred to a different NICU hospital. They started only fortifying my breast milk for her there after they got her back to an appropriate amount of milk for her to drink. She was having way to much output for her colostomy. I never wanted her to be on straight formula and I always supplied way more then needed in breast milk. She doesn’t have the best weight gain now but she hates drinking the fortified milk. She gets 3 bottles a day (hopefully) if not she gets straight from the tap any time she wants to feed. She is always going to have weight issues cause neither of her kidneys work properly and we are looking at 3 more surgeries before she turns 1 in May.

@trainando I am so sorry you all are going through this. Sending much compassion. Thank you for sharing your story.

What was an ideal weight gain? Might mixing fortified milk with your breastmilk make it more palatable for her?

@imchad They just keep telling me she needs to put on more weight. She’s 3.5 months and about 9lbs 9oz as of 5 days ago. She was born 5lbs 7oz. And maybe dropped to 5lbs 2oz at the lowest.

She does get the fortified with breast milk and she still hates it. We thought we found a new formula she likes but she’s gone back to not wanting to drink it as much.

@imchad Nicu nurse here- no this situation is not okay, and yes you can refuse all uses of formula. Many moms do, and can request this refusal be documented on their chart to ensure other staff do not feed it to them.
Our nicu will always prioritize ebm and dbm over formula, as it tastes horrible (we nurses have tried shots of formula lol) and it can make the premies vomit and not tolerate feeds. A fed baby is best and if the baby isn't keeping down what you feed because it's horrible, why feed it? You shouldn't have to "build tolerance" to feed. So that nurse seems miseducated in her actions and statement. Also the statement from the nurse is so degrading to you as a pumping mom, and is essentially saying you're going to fail no matter what. Why not speak to moms in a manner that will encourage them to succeed. As a nicu nurse, this nurses actions are very off putting.
The fact that afterwards he was showing signs of hunger should have indicated that he needed to be fed.