Broken Arm on a 4 Year Old; a Retrospective

@technopalms That's terrifying.

But also really gratifying to hear about your husband's "strong and calming presence."

I agree with OP: "Vulnerability and emotional honesty is a strength"

But sometimes dad needs to be dad and keep it all together during a crisis. That's hard to do. It was really validating to read your story. Thank you.

@kate2018 Eurgh, that absolutely sucks. You superhero!

@kate2018, if you have the cash for it, is it worth calling a local tattoo shop and asking if they’d be willing to use some coloured sharpies to draw cool designs of your daughter’s choice on the cast?

May be a good pick-me-up if she and/or you are bummed about it, and I imagine most tattoo artists would be chuffed to do something fun and a bit different.

@kate2018 This reminds me of my father's struggle with me and my sister, albeit we were both older when things happened to us.

First was my sister who had an accident playing football so my father 100% believed that she had broken her arm so he took her to the ER and there they refused to take her in as she hadn't been admitted by a health care center before going straight to the ER (standard practice in Sweden). My father got mad at the doctors refusing his daughter care so in the end he basically said "Then I'll go back, throw the kid on the field and call an ambulance and we'll end up here anyway instead of wasting time" doctors said "You can't do that!" and my father basically said "Watch me" and then my sister was taken into the ER rather than them risking he'd actually do it.

So when I fell running in a public bath busting my knee open so I could see my kneecap my father figured that there was no point going straight to the ER so we went to the health care center to get admitted in to the hospital and when we got there they questioned why we came to them and didn't go straight to the ER as they were not equipped to stitch injuries, although they "had a guy who happened to work today that can stitch" so it ended in me waiting way too long to get stitches and a rather subpar job in the end. To this day I have a bump on my knee if I bend the knee and if I stretch my leg my knee gets like a crater in it.

In the end we're both fine and it's not easy dealing with injured kids and we all feel horrible when stuff happens and we do what we can to make it "right". But your kid will be fine and broken bones often heal back stronger, especially at such a young age. Stay strong and stay awesome!

@kate2018 My daughter broker her arm twice at school during her kindergarten year. 4 months apart. Both times we spent 11+ hours at the children's hospital.

The first time she broke it right before lunch and because they didn't know if she'd need to go under for surgery wasn't able to eat until after 11 PM. It was so hard to hear her almost begging for food throughout the whole day and not be able to give her anything.

She was such a champ through the when thing. Plus, we got some great video of her waking up from the ketamine when she was fucking tripping balls that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

@kate2018 Having been the kid who slightly traumatized his dad with screaming while a broken arm is being reset, your daughter likely won't remember this. Not because of her age, but the meds they give for that process block traumatic memory. I personally remember my arm bending like a camel's back, going to the hospital, and waking up disappointed that I didn't get to pick the color of the cast.

You did exactly what you should have done, and your daughter has her Super Dad.

@kate2018 You did great. Kids are daredevils and will sadly hurt themselves from time time. But it's not our jobs to bubble wrap them, but to take care of them after and prepare them for the next insane stunt they pull.

@jaggerblast
But it's not our jobs to bubble wrap them, but to take care of them after and prepare them for the next insane stunt they pull.

To each there own. I don't bubble wrap my kids, and actually encourage them to do stuff they're scared to do, but I definitely tell them to not do certain dangerous things that could lead to serious injuries.

@thefoundsoul Obviously, but hovering over them all day isn't going to help. Teaching them that risks sometimes have bad outcomes is essential, other wise when they are older and we aren't there to protect them they will fall hard.

@kate2018 lord i hope my kid has my propensity for extremely strong bones (including luxury bones in her mouth when she gets older) and i sure fucking hope she doesn’t have my propensity for tendon/ligament/bone bushing (read: cartilage like meniscus) issues that i have. in all fairness i done broke myself, but jumping off of
giant things is FUN.

@kate2018 I recently took my 5 year old out on her bike. She's just able to ride on her own but a bit wobbly still. I set her off but saw she was wobbling so ran up behind to catch her under her arms. She hit the brakes hard just as I was getting to her and I knocked her off the bike, hitting her chin and lip on the tarmac. I was a mess for about 20 minutes while my wife sorted her out. I need to take a page out of your book and be the dad she needs, not let the emotion get the better of me.

Thanks for the inspiration - I'll try and channel this next time something similar happens.

@keffiyeh As others have pointed out, anesthesia doesn't mean it doesn't hurt, it means the patient is disassociated from their nervous system. They can still react to sensory input, but they don't remember it. It's basically chemically induced amnesia.

I guess it all works different depending on age and product used.

Our hospital used Propofol through an IV.

@kate2018 So sorry your daughter had that happen to her. I'm so glad you were there for her, and you will be as well thorough her recovery.

I can't imagine having to go through that with my kiddo. You sound like an absolute rock star.