Baby wearing and Sleep habits

colinjesusboy28

Hi, i'm a FTM of a 5 week boy, and i'm concerned i'm doing something wrong at this point.
From birth till about 3 weeks he slept anywhere and fell asleep fast, normally after breastfeeding.
From about 3 1/2 weeks, he started fighting sleep and when i put him in the crib, usually only stayed asleep for about 30min. Then i started doing babywearing and thats where he takes his naps everyday since 4 weeks ( normally sleeps 2hours)

The problem is when i'm not home, and he stays in the stroller ( baby car seat) he really fights sleep, and when he does fall asleep wakes constantly. Today i spent the morning at the doctor and the afternoon at my postpartum physiotherapy and the didn't sleep for more than 30min when i was out, so two of his naps of the day were really short.

During the night, he's a angel actually sleeps 5 hours streches (20/1) and then 3hours streches.

When should i stop wearing him for naps? When do they have the ability to start sleeping during the day on their one?
What were you experience?

@colinjesusboy28 Mine only would nap moving the first year. The first three months it was only while babywearing (or contact naps) and from around 4 months it was only in a moving pram. She's 8 and has no "bad" sleeping habits, whatsoever. He's 5 weeks, he's been used to movement, closeness, warmth, darkness and your heartbeat for 40 weeks. Hell get it eventually. Don't worry and enjoy holding your baby.

@colinjesusboy28 This is super normal. A LOT of babies will catnap unless they’re being held. My first would sleep for hours in your lap but 23 minutes (almost exactly every time) if you laid her down. If he’s sleeping 5 hours at night I’d just count my blessings for now haha.

@colinjesusboy28 Oh I get it! Sounds like he’s doing great. I try to just follow the ranges for sleep. I think this stage 12-16 hours a day is normal and you’ll have a few babies that are just fine but outside of those ranges - just my 2 have been so different!

@colinjesusboy28 If it’s important to you that baby sleep on their own, there’s no magic time to start trying - you can try now, later, somewhere in the middle. But it’s also ok if baby doesn’t want to sleep on their own! You are not breaking them somehow by contact sleeping; many babies (especially such small ones!) are not ready to sleep on their own until later on. I grew up with lots of contact sleepers and bedsharers and all of us ended up being able to sleep independently when we were ready - no more weird sleep than your average other adult.

@colinjesusboy28 My first didn't like the carrier and all his naps for 3.5 months were while being held on the couch, sometimes 2+ hours at a time. Never could do crib naps past the second week of his life. My second baby was a preemie. She did most of her sleep on me but also in a crib, not even swaddled.... until she reached her due date. It was easy because preemies are sleepy noodles. Once she reached her due date and until about 3 months later it was 100% carrier (stretchy wrap) naps on me or a family member. Around 2-3 months, I had a bit of success with crib naps with one of my babies doing Pacifier + swaddling + dark room + white noise. With both kids I was able to switch to crib naps rather easily around 3-4 months old, once they started sucking on their thumb or hand. My first did 90% crib naps from then on and my second is 6 months and doing probably 60% crib, 30% carrier, 10% contact nap.

@colinjesusboy28 My daughter would have short naps during the newborn phase too. She was a great night sleeper off the bat as well. I think they are starting to get less sleepy and more alert. It just takes time. Babywearing is a wonderful tool to use for naps, so it’s great that you have that!

@colinjesusboy28 Your baby is still tiny, it's totally normal for him to prefer sleeping in your arms or in a carrier. My daughter was a big fan of contact naps until she was almost 6 months old... I wore her a lot during those 6 months! Now she's a pro sleeper during the day and at night. You can't spoil a baby that is that tiny!

Back