Baby swing

bustinjustin

Hi everyone!

We’re thinking of getting a baby swing. Any recommendations, my aunt & uncle want to get us a mamaRoo, but is it worth it? Is it safe for the baby to take a nap there? Is it safe for a baby to take a nap in any swing?

If there are other recommendations please let us know, we really appreciate it!

And does one even need a baby swing. Opinions please thank you so much

My wife wants to get fisher-price cradle ‘n swing.

We were also looking at the cradle and swing that comes 2-1.
Fisher-Price Woodsy Wonders 2-in-1 Deluxe Cradle 'n Swing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HFMWKH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_33WGNYNT9MHXM1SGM6SG?psc=1

@bustinjustin We rented a mamaroo a week ago to try out and so far I’m neutral on it. Our baby has not fallen asleep in it. He’ll hang out happily for about 15 minutes and then start crying. Based on that, I don’t think it’s the right choice for us, but every baby is different!

@anointed48 Second this. Borrowed it from another family member and I just use it as a space to place baby. Very very rarely used the functions on the swing.

@bustinjustin We have this Graco one which we bought for $40 off fb marketplace https://www.gracobaby.com/home-and-...connect-lx-swing-and-bouncer/SAP_1893831.html

It works well. Baby naps in it daily when she’s not down to be put in her crib but she’s supervised. I believe the only reason they don’t advise letting babies sleep in swings or car seats or any unflat surface is their heads could droop and close their airway. I like having a swing to put her into so when she wants to be stimulated she can stare at the mobile (I swapped the stars out with high contrast cards I made)

@devyne We looked at the Grace, and love the idea of the 2-1. Does the swing help your baby fall asleep? Also, is there a motor noise due to the swinging?

When you say supervised it’s because the dangers of sleeping in a non-flat surface or because of the swing itself?

@bustinjustin We had a similar 2 in 1 Graco and I loved it. I knew I wanted a swing but didn't want 2 different baby accessories (swing and bouncer/rocker). The swing was nice, baby enjoyed falling asleep and napping in it as well as just chilling for awhile. And I would use the chair to cart him upstairs if I needed to get some stuff done up there. The motors on most of the swings are pretty quiet so it's not really an issue. I know every baby is different but I love the swing

@bustinjustin Just to offer a differing opinions. That is the exact one we got and little one hates it. It only rocks side to side, and for whatever reason she likes front to back. Got a 30 floor rocker that she loved and it sits there taking up space. Wish was way to try these things out!

So we got ours second hand on facebook marketplace. There is some motor noise with the toy part but overall it's not bad. We also bought a mommaroo and it just seems like my son is too heavy for it at only 14 pounds. He loves the snugapuppy one though. It is a pretty large swing. We don't move it, it stays in our living room. But our house is small enough that it's not that far away from much in the house. The music and toy part really help my son be calm with it.

@peinopela Thank you for the response!!

Does it take up a lot of room? Do you move it from the bedroom to living room/kitchen?

Also is there a loud motor noise? Is there Any additional pros or cons I should know?

Thank you again

@bustinjustin I like the mamaroo, but I got it as a gifts I'm not sure I would have liked it if I purchased it myself. My LO only liked it for about 15 minutes at a time, never fell asleep in it, and outgrew it at 18 pounds. They say it's safe until 35 pounds, but he started sitting up in it and leaning around and it started making odd noises.

@bustinjustin Only things marketed as “sleepers” are technically safe for babies to sleep in (nap included). I’m a big fan of safe sleep, but honestly I feel okay with letting baby nap in a swing if it’s supervised. The main concern comes with overnight sleep (rock n play controversy — they were recalled because people were using them for overnight sleep. They’re really not different than any swing).

I think the mommaroo is a good choice, and if it doesn’t work out, they have a good resale value! We got a secondhand swing from a family member that worked well too. This time around I think we’ll get another generic swing.

@bustinjustin Yep, I wouldn’t do the mamaroo if you’re paying out of pocket... our son never fell asleep in it and now it’s just a glorified baby holder in our living room til he gets a little bigger. I wish I had gone for something less expensive.

@bustinjustin We have a Graco swing that is similar to the Fisher Price one. Our 3 week old is neutral on it. She’s a bigger fan of the bouncer (we have one by ingenuity). And honestly- I lay her down on a playmat on the floor more than anywhere else. The daycare we used for our first daughter always promoted lots of floor time and didn’t use “baby holders.”

@bustinjustin Just for a comment on safe sleep:

Swings are not recommended for any sleep (naps, overnight, supervised, unsupervised) due to the risks of positional asphyxiation. The angle of an inclined surface (like a swing) while sleeping can restrict their airflow to cause not only brain damage, but complete suffocation. “Supervised” unsafe sleep in a swing does not reduce these risks, as positional asphyxiation is completely silent. You could be watching them and have no clue.

Swings can be used as a great entertainment device, but poses the risk of baby falling asleep without you knowing (if you’re not watching them directly). If they fall asleep, they should be moved out immediately.

Hope this helps!!

@bustinjustin Our LO stopped enjoying the mamaroo after 2 months. He’ll tolerate it now but not for long. I actually found he liked the really cheap ingenuity swing that just goes back and forth, and he now likes the big ingenuity swing that goes side to side with the moving mobile the best. All of the swings we got were borrowed or given to us, but I definitely wouldn’t pay full price for the mamaroo. Side note: my partner and I would constantly talk about how ridiculous it is that the swing is so expensive yet they couldn’t even have a moving mobile.... who is going to sit there all day and push it... so dumb.

@bustinjustin We have a swinging hammock (popular here in Northern Europe), it is the best purchase ever for us! Babe naps like a champ in it. It is approved for night sleep too. There are lots of brands out there like Nonomo, Moonboon, Natures Sway, etc

Back