Baby stopped sleeping through the night after an attempt at dropping dream feed

raspberryrain

My 7 month old used to sleep 7 pm to 7 am with one dream feed at 9:30 pm. I tried dropping the dream feed and that night he woke up crying uncontrollably for about an hour. Finally gave him a small feed so he’d stop crying and go back to sleep. But now, even after reintroducing the dream feed, he wakes up in the middle of the night crying. Any time between 2 am and 5 am. Sometimes day naps are getting hard too where he’ll cry instead of napping. He’s crying so hard the bedsheets get pretty wet.

We’re not sure what to do! How can we help our baby get back on track with regards to sleep?

Current schedule below:

~7 am and 7:30 am: Wake up

~7:30 am: Feed 100 mL breast milk

~8 am: solids

~8:30 am: play time

8:50 am: put in sleep sack and feed 240 mL

~9:40 am: put in crib for first nap

~10:40 am to 11:40 am: wake up from first nap and give vitamin D drops right after waking

About 30 minutes after waking up, feed solids

~12:40 pm to 1:30 pm: put in sleep sack and feed 240 mL

~2 pm to 3:30 pm: wake from second nap

~3pm to 4 pm: feed 240 mL

~5 pm: solids

~6 pm: start bedtime routine

~6:30 pm: feed 240 mL

~7:15 to 7:30 pm: put to crib for sleep

9:30 pm dream feed

@raspberryrain I am having trouble reading your schedule, but it looks like he's taking two two-hour naps and you're expecting an 11.5 hour night. That's a lot of sleep. It is possible the dream feed was helping prolong the night because he was waking for it. I'd increase your wake times.

@poorelectron He often takes short naps so the ranges indicate possible times. He naps anywhere from 2-3 hours total per day.

And at night, he is asleep 10 hours on good nights. These days he drops as low as 8.

@raspberryrain How long has it been since this change started? Is it possibly unrelated? maybe growing pains, regression or another issue that needs to be addressed separately? (diaper rash, changing food, introduced a new food type etc?)

@gaconvn Please see here:

Daily Schedule

~7 am and 7:30 am: Wake up

~7:30 am: Feed 100 mL breast milk

~8 am: solids

~8:30 am: play time

8:50 am: put in sleep sack and feed 240 mL

~9:40 am: put in crib for first nap

~10:40 am to 11:40 am: wake up from first nap and give vitamin D drops right after waking

About 30 minutes after waking up, feed solids

~12:40 pm to 1:30 pm: put in sleep sack and feed 240 mL

~2 pm to 3:30 pm: wake from second nap

~3pm to 4 pm: feed 240 mL

~5 pm: solids

~6 pm: start bedtime routine

~6:30 pm: feed 240 mL

~7:15 to 7:30 pm: put to crib for sleep

9:30 pm dream feed

Back