As we’re home today w the kids for the holiday…

rogger

I just felt the need to vent about housing. As the kids grow our small house feels smaller and smaller. The thing that is particularly rough is the noise factor. Smaller house means less space to spread out and everyone can hear everyone. My kids are so loud. I’m constantly asking everyone to quiet down but it’s not really their fault. But I’m starting to realize how much this is affecting me and how it contributes to my sensory overload. I saw an Instagram post that said “a short story about me as a mom: I heard too many noises at once and now I’m a bitch” and I felt so validated.

We bought this house a decade ago after 2 years of failed attempts in a HCOL area. We were so battered by the process and once we finally found a small but decent house we bought it. I so regret it now. Of course no one could’ve known what would happen w the housing market and the interest rates. 4br houses (that need work) are now going for 1.2mil in my town. 10 years ago they were 700k. And that’s if you can even get the house. There are bidding wars for every single listing.

TLDR: small house = angry mom and also our housing market is broken

@rogger I hear you on this. I think open concept houses and a lack of carpeting in living spaces make it a lot worse too. It becomes a huge, hard box and the sound just becomes overwhelming. It’s great for light, but not much else.

@savemarriage101 When we first bought our house, all we could afford was an older one that is not open concept. Once we had kids, I became so thankful for having separate areas especially now that they are getting older

@yesjesus Same. Love my 1950s house. I “hide” in the kitchen all the time. I’m close enough to the living room to hear the kids if the need me, but it’s got enough separation that I feel like I’m alone.

@yesjesus Yes! We don’t have an open concept because our house was built on 1984. I love that I can’t see in my kitchen from my living room, and the dining room is nowhere a tv can be seen. I love it.