Are wasting our time on this?

@rvanengen10 Definitely talk to a mediator, depending on your state he could be held responsible as a father figure given how many years heā€™s spent with your son, even if heā€™s not legally his father.

@rvanengen10 Hey @rvanengen10, so, that was a very interesting read. There are many things to unpack but i think it can be summed up that this ā€œStep Fatherā€ is so important TO YOU. Yes im certain your son loves him but the risk of bringing somebody new into a young childā€™s life is the fact that there is nothing binding them to the situation. They have no biological, legal, or even moral obligation to continue to be a father.

There is a lot of conflict between you, ā€œstep dadā€ and ā€œshe/gfā€. Your son is in the middle of it and is actually the main topic of the conflict so as time goes on and your son gets older and things become more difficult, i think ā€œstep dadā€ will continue to drift away and your son will be old enough that it can damage his psyche.

So, could i get a little more information? Your age, your sonā€™s biological fatherā€™s age, is he still in prison, and whether you are financial stable with only your own income. I dont mean to pry but these things can also have a great impact.

In the end, you clearly care for your son and ā€œstep dadā€ played daddy but never had the feelings you had for your son. He had fun and loved playing with him and now he is distancing himself. I honestly say let him go but maybe have him talk to your son and just explain things but in a way that gives some sort of closure. There will be tears and it wont be easy but its better than his current father figure just disappearing. But if your son is already in the letting go phase and seems to be fine then you just need to let ā€œstep dadā€ go right away.

Being a single mom isnt easy but its better than having men come and go in your childā€™s life.

You can do it

Back