Another q on second (scheduled) c after emergency c with first

jcbones

You all were incredibly helpful with my first question on this so I’m coming back for more. Another thing I’ve heard is that babies are more tired after labor and/or emergency c vs scheduled c, and so they can be easier to care for … also that labor forces fluid from them while the c does not and so they are less settled. Anyone have a thought on this? That a baby without any labor experience at all is less settled at first?

@jcbones Anecdotally, after an emergency c-section with my first kid in which I had to be put under general anesthesia, by the time I was out it was really hard to get him to stay awake long enough to nurse. Like, we had to keep poking him and putting a wet washcloth on his head.

Did not have the problem with the second who was a scheduled c-section. But whether it was the labor, or the anesthesia, or the time that went by before I was awake, I couldn't say.

Still, I can say "more tired" is not a good thing, and "less settled" is not necessarily a bad thing.

@jcbones I had a schedule c section and my baby was very sleepy afterwards but she’s always been a really good sleeper compared to my first who was a vaginal delivery. And to your second point, yes they sometimes need help getting the fluids out of their lungs but they give you one of those nasal aspirators to use but she was not at all “hard to settle” and has always been such a chill baby. The c section itself was very calm and I got to do skin to skin right away even while they put me back together. Breastfeeding was also much easier this time. Probably because I’d already done it once before but with my first it was such a struggle and I had low supply. This time my supply has been great and even a bit more than necessary. My c section was such a healing, positive experience. Congrats and good luck!

@wisdom08 This is so great to hear, thank you. I had an unplanned c my first time, after a very very long labor and pushing, and little guy was amazing. They gave him to me quickly afterward, he nursed very quickly, etc. I guess I'm just afraid that I'll mess up the next one if I don't go through all the pain up front? Motherhood is such a head fuck.

@jcbones This doesn't make a ton of sense to me and anecdotally wasn't my experience.

There's just so many variables. I think being born is plenty tiring regardless of if you're suddenly picked up and pulled through an opening, or squeezed through a narrow tube after X hours of jostling.

@jcbones So it depends a lot on the labor. Long labors are harder on babies (lots of squeezing and movement) so they can be a little sleepier. Gestational age can also cause sleepiness (younger baby will be more tired) so a planned 39 weeker that is sectioned will be less sleepy than an spontaneous vaginal at 37 weeks.

C-sections don’t allow the baby to have the same squeeze that vaginal babies get which does help to get fluid out of their lungs. If baby struggles more, they will suction them (NICU teams are present at every c-section.) Vaginal babies can still retain a lot of fluid if delivery is faster (I had a fast vaginal delivery and baby was spitting up fluid for a few days.) This all comes up once milk hits their stomachs.

That being said, I’ve seen totally settled and sleepy c-section babies and then vaginal babies that only want to stare at the world. It is very baby dependent (was a NICU nurse.)

@jcbones I don't personally have any experience with that, but it makes sense to me that a baby born vaginally might behave differently to a csectioned baby (but when do babies actually ever act in a predictable way?)

I think csectioned babies are typically born into a more stressful environment (OR) in circumstances where it's difficult to comfort them through skin-to-skin. Not impossible, but difficult.

That's not to say that the same thing doesn't happen to vaginally born babies, but there seems to be more emphasis on accommodating skin-to-skin with vaginal births than with csections unfortunately.

I think the best plan would be to ensure that there is a plan for calm in the delivery room, whether that's at home, in the hospital or the OR. This way you can ensure a peaceful transition into the world for your baby.

@jcbones I think it's all so conditional.

My first was a vaginal birth, long labour with a fast delivery (3 pushes and she was out). She was tired and hard to keep awake to feed at first. She also had a lot of mucous/fluid that didn't squeezed out of her.

My second was an emergency c. Just a more settled baby. She was suctioned out and didn't have any problems with mucous.

@jcbones I had an emergency c-section and a scheduled one. I didn’t notice a difference in my babies. However, I was much more rested with the scheduled one which made everything easier.

@jcbones I had a planned c section and it went great. My son sleeps well and is healthy. It was overall a fairly chill experience, as far as births go. 10/10 would do a planned c again

@jcbones While I can’t speak for first hand experience, I can tell you my experience as a male.

My wife and I did our research, we were always very against C section unless it was absolutely necessary for health of mom and baby.

We were almost convinced into scheduling a C section for our first born due to her predicted size of 9lbs 11oz. Last minute we cancelled out on the C section and opted for an induction that day.

We believe natural birth to be what is best for baby. It’s how we’ve always done it right?

It’s also best for mom, if you’re able to.

Due to my job I’ve been able to witness a C section and it is a MAJOR surgery. It’s aggressive and brutal.

Luckily for us, everything went smoothly and vaginal delivery was very successful.

Recovery for vaginal vs cesarean is widely different. My wife was up and walking day of delivery. Certainly wouldn’t have been that way had we done cesarean.

Weigh your options. It’s your choice in the end. Your body (and baby’s) was made to do this.

@jcbones I did. And your asking about your next birth right? There’s things called a V back. You can still deliver vaginally after previous C sections. It used to be thought you once you have a cesarean that all subsequent births also have to be cesarean

@amashyrl I was up and walking within a handful of hours after both my csections. The hospital I delivered at gets you moving as soon as it is safely possible, especially after a C-section. I did laps of the postpartum floor like it was my JOB, haha.

@jcbones Both of my c section babies coughed up a lot of fluid. The second (planned) one was a much worse nurser and threw up soooo much fluid. In a lot of ways my emergency c section was easier but the second was pandemicy which probably played a role.

@jcbones Regarding the fluid question- I had a scheduled c section and my baby failed his newborn hearing screening twice in the hospital. He also failed his follow up screening 2 weeks later. He finally passed the diagnostic test that was administered 4 weeks after birth. C section babies can have extra fluid trapped in their ear ways. This is likely what happened to my babe.