Absolutley crappy U.S. materinity leave and FMLA... what are my options?

@nancyeab Others have covered the FMLA aspect but I wanted to say even getting 6 weeks unpaid time is considered lucky in this country, not just normal. I know people who have had to go back after 2-3 weeks or some garbage like that. It’s disgusting how we treat women in this country. I had after birth complications and didn’t even stop bleeding heavily until week 9! Anyway, I hope you find something that works for you. It’s hard for most of us.

@becca0603 I know, isn't that insane?! I keep thinking-- have there been any recent movements/groups who have tried to push a policy on this? I'm normally a good libertarian at heart, but the amount of greed and corruption with this kind of thought is freaking insane. Men making decisions for women is almost always a bad, bad idea.

@nancyeab Contact your state representatives, and local level elected officials. Email, call, write.

Co tried to pass a paid family leave act, but shot it down. So talk to your representative if they let that happen.

Many states are starting to have some maternity leave, specifically paid. Not just NY and CA. I know of at least three other states. I believe a dozen states require companies with more than 10 employees to offer FMLA. It’s not that expensive of an undertaking and helps ensure women can stay in the workforce which saves companies and the economy money in the long run. (People are less likely to return to work at all if they find a way to make it work without a second income. But paid maternity leave helps prevent this. As well as putting people in the situation of needing government assistance.)

You can always talk to your company about the policy. It may do nothing, but depending on management, and if your role is more indispensable, maybe they can work something out.

@katrina2017 I remember that! I was excited to see it on the ballot. I wonder how much it lost by. I have been researching advocacy groups I can support. We all should. :) Edited to say: I realize it won't help my situation (I am too old for more after this) but I really want to see future mothers celebrated and not punished for growing a family.

@nancyeab I agree with the others, if the company is small, it may not qualify for FMLA. And you will need to be careful about getting a new job, as FMLA does not apply until you have been there a year.

I also have never worked for an employer that pays for maternity leave. I have always had to use saved vacation time & purchase my own short term disability. This is the standard in my field & geographic location. Changing jobs would not change that.

Congrats on your pregnancy.

@nancyeab Also, if you get a short term disability plan, that pays a percentage of your salary during maternity leave. But you have to have it before you’re pregnant I think...

@sam_p You do and it's almost impossible to get if it's not employer sponsored. Have a friend in a similar spot right now who's looked into it.

@sam_p I have one, you can’t get pregnant until the month after the plan goes into effect. Side note for anyone thinking of getting it- check that your company will update your salary with your agent if employee sponsored. Mine used to, but don’t, so my policy will pay me 2/3 of what I made 5 years ago, significantly less than now.

@nancyeab I’m 31+3 and unsure if I’ll return after my “leave” also. It’s 6 weeks, unpaid. It’s a small business with around 30 employees, so I don’t qualify for FMLA. Essentially they will hold my job for 6 weeks. I am really uncomfortable leaving my son in daycare at 6 weeks old. I’m also not sure if it’s worth it to return considering what I’d make after accounting for childcare.

It’s honestly pathetic that this is what families have to face in what should be their happiest times.

I’m sorry for you dilemma. I feel you.

@nancyeab Fight for your leave! My company did the same thing, then I provided examples of local employers (other small companies) that had better maternity leave, and I got some other parents to talk to HR. They updated their policy to be more family friendly. If you want a new job, it’s also entirely possible that you could find a company that would be willing to extend you fmla with less than a year there; not all companies are terrible (just most of them).

@nancyeab I did a mix! I first asked friends, then went on Glassdoor (which will tell you company size and sometimes things about their benefits), a few company websites that talked about benefits, and I actually did cold call a few places to finish out the list. I’d say I was interested in applying for a job and ask about their parental leave. It was a few hours of work but worth the money! Another strategy I considered was just providing an example of one relevant peer or competitor with a better policy, but I felt like my HR department needed more convincing than that.

@imsavedbyjesus Awesome advice, thank you! My only hesitation is that they offer such great health benefits in every other arena... they always use that as a talking point for new hires. I'm wondering if they will adopt a "the great benefits here cover the sh*t benefits there" sort of mentality. I'll try to prepare for that. :)

@nancyeab It’s possible! Also possible that bc they covet that reputation, they’d be sensitive to you drawing attention to it (“The benefits here are so great that’s it’s a shame the maternity leave is behind the times! I was talking to some other parents and...”)

@nancyeab The only part that seems off is them not guaranteeing your position because they should under FMLA and they offer 6 weeks but if your doctor were to say you need 8-12 you would be able to take longer under fmla. But since you already know you are pregnant changing jobs will not help your case because you have to be there a year and you will just lose your job when you go out for leave

Back