6 y.o. advised to get 8 crowns! What the what!?

@on_a_mission_ You definitely need a second opinion.

I will say as a side note, my 2 year old's dentist informed me that apparently kids don't have the proper motor skills to brush their own teeth until their about 8 . That blew my mind.

@on_a_mission_ We had a pediatric dentist try to do this to us and many other people. It was bullshit. Go to a family dentist and get a second opinion. I guarantee she doesn’t need a mouth full of metal at her age.

You may want to take her for check ups more often just to be sure everything goes well. We did cleanings every 3 months for years and as a result, we never had a single “surprise”.

@on_a_mission_ Awww! Poor puppy! ☹️ I realize this was 10 mo. ago but this is more for people who may be going through the same thing:
I was born in the 80s (okay, '89, but whatever. It'll come up.) When I was little I was not a candy-loving kid, my mom was in med school and actually was doing her pediatric rounds around my toddler years so she brushed my teeth all the time and even packed a toothbrush for me for preschool. I ate fruit and salads all the time, no soda, etc. Obvs the point is: theoretically I shouldn't have had cavities. WELP, I did. I had to get 4 caps age 3, almost 4, all were molars. What was the cause? The dentist noticed I had soft enamel (I actually didn't even have #4 & #14 adult teeth!) and I also would grind my teeth, even at that early age.

Also, I used a pacifier until I was almost 3 (I think?) If your kid is using a paci/binky/nee-nee/toot-toot (I made that last one up) I believe it's just adding more germs into the mouth, no matter how clean. I also think my teeth grinding came from not having the comfort of a paci. Btw: I am NOT anti-pacifier.

They gave me nothing but "laughing gas" but I wasn't laughing! I hated every second of it which made me terrified of the dentist from then on. When I was advised to have my son get a crown when he was 6, they offered me the option to put him under at the hospital. Yes, it's more expensive, depending on your insurance, but worth every penny. Yes, it's scary to have your child put under, but possibly alleviating a lifetime of dental anxiety is worth every penny.

For the case like OP's child: ask your dentist what they think the cause could be (BIG THING TO NOTE: ADHD MEDICATIONS CAUSE DENTAL ISSUES. I'm not saying this was the case, but for other parents.) I don't think it was an "upsell" for various reasons. If anyone is concerned about aesthetics see if the tooth could have composite material first, but if they really need crowns, ask about the material. Porcelain crowns, in OUR day, were for rich people. Nowadays it seems that dentists are phasing out metal crowns. It was ~9 yrs ago when my son got a crown & even without asking (since it was a molar way back) they put a porcelain crown on.

Hope everything worked out well!

TL;DR: Second opinion; see what could be causing the cavities; see if composite fillings could work in lieu of caps; most dentists have phased out metal crowns & use porcelain, which obvs looks better; ADHD meds can cause severe dental issues if your child is on them (other meds can too, even to unerupted adult teeth!) Don't think it was an upsell. Hope all is well!

Back