3am wide awake

cassy

Hi I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

My 2 year old as of this week has been waking up for the day at 3am. He wasn’t a good sleeper before but at least is up for the day at 5-6am. I am unsure what happened but now he just doesn’t want to sleep once he cries awake at 3.

His bedtime is usually 6:30/7pm he has a noise maker, he sleeps in a zipadeezip.. he goes daycare and I have asked what his napping is like. They say he sleeps around 11/12 nap ranging from 1-2 hours. I have tried having him sleep a little later like 7:30pm and sleeping earlier like 6pm but like clockwork 3am he is up for the day. I tried just letting him cry in his crib but he will just cry til he vomits. I have also tried telling him it’s still night time but he doesn’t seem to understand just yet..just turned two in august.

I am at a loss..

@cassy For how long did you try the later bedtime? How is his eating, could he be getting hungry at night? Lastly, is he possibly getting sick?

Our 2.5 y/o gets interrupted sleep when she doesn’t eat much supper, and when she’s coming down with a cold (even before she has other visible symptoms)

@koh We only been trying a few days..as this early waking just suddenly began this week.

His eating is normal nothing much has changed..could be sick the flu is going around but he hasn’t shown much discomfort but maybe some medicine before bed could help?

@cassy My now 3 year old went through a phase like this from 2-2.5. He would randomly wake up at 2am and not go back to sleep. It finally got better after getting tubes in his ears. I think his ears we just uncomfortable and full of fluid that he couldn’t sleep.

@syrak How do I know he needs tubes? Are there other symptoms?Should I take him to a doctor for his disturbed sleep? My husband is kind of iffy on taking him to see doc if he’s not really sick 🫠

@cassy Take him to the pediatrician to get his ears checked. They'll tell you if you need to get evaluated by a pediatric ENT. Tell your husband the risk in not getting it checked out is having a speech delayed child that needs speech therapy.

@cassy It could be another sleep regression. Around 2 is when toddlers get a language explosion and as we know new skills equal shit sleep. My LO is going through one now (he’s turning 2 in a month) and is having split nights too. Maybe it’s just a phase. In any case, solidarity! Hopefully they’ll remember to sleep through the night again soon!