3 y.o. Still Not Going on Miralax

johnnyz

My 3-1/2 year old has been blocked up, afraid to poo for the past month. It got to the point we had to go to the doctor last week cos he hadn’t gone in days and was so uncomfortable. The doctor prescribed Miralax, which I hear is common. He told me to start with a full cap full, which I did. He went the next day, again on Saturday…and nothing since Saturday (it’s Tuesday now fyi) and he hasn’t gone since with a cup full of Miralax a day.
I called the doctor yesterday and he said to double it to 2 cap fulls…so yesterday he got 2 cap full, and he STILL hasn’t gone! How is this possible?

Has anyone else experienced their toddler STILL blocked up with Miralax? He’s taking a bigger dose than an adult and still won’t go, just doesn’t seem possible!

He’s so uncomfortable, but still won’t go no matter what we try 😭

@johnnyz It’s possible that he is also trying to hold it too because he is scared it will hurt (understandably!) to push. He may need a clean out or “Gatorade bomb” to get everything cleared out. Maybe reach back out to the doctor and inquire about this is a possibility? Constipation is the worst in kiddos- I hope he feels better soon!

@aniko He’s 100% withholding. He has a bad stomach bug a few weeks ago and his poor bum was very sore and he’s been withholding since then. He says he’s scared. I would be too with how big this poo probably is. We’ve been trying to be very gentle about it. Explaining that there’s nothing to be scared of and it’s going to get worse if he doesn’t go. Even set aside potty training and pulled the diapers back out and telling him it’s more important to poop than to poop on the potty. Nothing…

Never heard of a Gatorade bomb so I’ll definitely be looking into it! I know what I do when I get blocked up, I just get nervous trying the same things with my LO in case it’s too intense for him. The doctor just seems to want him try Miralax but it’s just not working 😭

@johnnyz Could you try pedialax or something similar? It’s more of an immediate process than the miralax. You could also ask your pediatrician about adding a daily probiotic. Hope it gets better soon!