27 weeks

dick325

Helloooo! I’m 27 weeks pregnant and maintaining running about 25-27 mpw. However, I’m starting to feel more pressure in my pelvic region during & after running. More specifically, my lower belly, back and upper-inner pelvic region on one side is in so much discomfort any lateral or push off motion on my right side sends a sharp pain.

I’ve tried K-Tape and it is supportive but doesn’t take away the pain. I’m a FTM & know pregnancy brings uncomfortable body changes when continuing exercise, but is this a sign I need to stop running & switch to something more low impact?

I’ve been running since I was 16 so mentally I’m pushing through, but also starting to realize I need to do what’s best for me and baby.

@dick325 I ran about 20 now until about 28 weeks, then I noticed increased soreness in my pelvic floor. I got a belly band and made it until about 32 weeks before I saw that I was fully limping the rest of the day after running, so that's when I switched to biking for cardio instead. Everyone is different and I really hoped I could run for longer, but not being able to walk normally afterwards was a big red sign to me.

@dick325 Honestly if you're in any doubt and if you're feeling pelvic pressure and pain, I'd be inclined to stop. Or significantly shorten your runs/reduce mileage for a week and see if that helps. At this point you're not doing much for your fitness by running and you should be aiming for a 12 week break postpartum anyway, to allow your pelvic floor time to recover and avoid long term issues. The risk of running too long now is that you fuck your pelvic floor up without realising and create a long term problem.

It feels good to keep running now and it's a short term hit you're getting from it, but if you want the best chance of coming back strong after you've had the baby, you need to play the long game here. Hard to do but worth it.

@dick325 33w today and still running although I transitioned to treadmill runs this past Friday after a fall on Thursday that wound me up in L&D for monitoring.

I’ve been running for a decade and ran up until 39+6 during my first pregnancy and hoping to make it until my due/induction date.

For me taking it day by day has been the most helpful, there have been a handful of days that I have a bad side cramp and I have to do a run/walk. Last week before I fell I was having very intense pressure/pain under my belly button, it seemed like it was bladder pain, because it would go away when I peed but the second I started running I got the “I have to pee” sensation again and got the pain/pressure again.

On those days I just shoot for running one slow mile and then walking, and if the pain goes away I’ll run so short spurts.

I don’t think it’s a sign you need to stop running, I think taking it day by day, run by run is good to do, do not force yourself to run through pain. Some days can be very slow jog days, some days can be run days. There have been so many times during this pregnancy where I thought “this is it, this is my last run” and then whatever annoying thing goes away.

@dick325 I started walking at 27 weeks. I couldn’t continue with running because of the pressure. I’ve been running since I was that age too and totally get wanting to push through but walking has been a great substitute. I found a 6.5km trail that has nice steep hills so I definitely get a good workout in!