24 Calorie Formula

mindygail

Hi - since I have a preemie, doc wants us to stay on 24 calorie enfamil although it is impossible to find outside the hospital. We have been given the instructions below to create it from 20 cal enfacare. Although this suggests 0.2oz displacement when in reality it is like 10 mL.. has anyone else dealt with this? Am I missing something?

https://hcp.meadjohnson.com/file-asset/hcpm_res_enfamil_neuropro_enfacare#:~:text=One%20scoop%20of%20Enfamil%20NeuroPro,0.2%20fl%20oz%20of%20water

I found this video below which suggests 1 scoop + 1/2 tsp scoop to 2 oz of water and is an even different ratio

How can I make sure to properly create 24 cal formula so my LO grows?

@mindygail Go with the Mead Johnson recipe since they’re the formula manufacturer. Displacement to the naked eye is hard to measure especially when you’re making individual bottles and shaking them- the foam at the top is hard to quantify and makes it look like there’s more than there really is. I had to do fortified formula for both of my twins and used a pitcher to make 24 hours’ worth- and doing that, once the mixture had settled from mixing I found the manufacturer’s recipe/displacement to be very accurate.

@mindygail We do this as well! The chart you were given is really hard for me to read, I don't blame you for being confused. Here's the chart we were given below:

To make 24kcal/oz Enfamil Infant:

Amount of Water
Scoops of Formula
Approx Oz Made

5 oz

10 oz

11.5 oz

21.5 oz

ETA: I highly, highly recommend the Dr. Brown's formula mixer! It does great with the higher concentration of formula, with no clumps and minimal air

Back