2 m/o won’t latch and no supply

sala19

I’m going to keep this very short and simple but please help me!

My son is now 2 months old on the 14th of this month.
I’m 17 y/rs old and this is my first born and I do not have any family to turn to for advice.

When he was first born he latched on quick and easy no pain he was a champ!
However, despite the no effort nurses brought me a nipple shield and had me start using that instead of my bare nipple. They never told me why but I trusted them (my first mistake).
I was there for 4 days due to a complicated birth but his feedings went amazing!
However, nobody was at the hospital with me except my bestfriend who slept through his crying so it was all on me and I asked for formula (mistake two)
So I pretty much got lazy with feeding. It was feeding what I pumped but I didn’t pump often. I’d pump whenever I was engorged because I thought I could only empty when full (wrong) I was also pumping for 45 minutes (also only supposed to pump for 15-20 sometimes 25).
I then skipped two days of pumping because I didn’t feel ‘full’ at this point I stopped trying to latch him….
He won’t latch at all anymore even with a shield and I’m not even producing 20 mL….
Please help…
He also has a lip and tongue tie but I’m waiting on Monday to schedule the surgery.

@sala19 My experience is - if you need a nipple shield, use a nipple shield. You can always wean baby off of it. Better to have them at breast as close as possible to latch/nursing skills then just straight up bottle feeding. See a IBCLC, they’ll be able to give you tips and trainings to do with baby. Essentially there are “exercises” to do with your baby to help them build the muscles and skills to nursing. Check out this channel of helpful YouTube videos - https://youtube.com/@lalactation?si=Gdrqknx3PV-Q6e_S for all things nursing, suck exercises, jaw and cheek massages etc. My biggest piece of advice, if you relax and believe in your baby and your potential, it will come in due time. (Vs. being tense and flustered which your baby will sense)

@sala19 If you don't have insurance/access to an IBCLC, the next best thing is a trained peer support leader to help you with some personal advice (no cost) like a La Leche League leader.

La Leche League country list

There are so many factors around latching and supply that really getting personal support is key. That being said, generally speaking at this age we would do at least 2 weeks of an SNS on the breast (supplemental feeding system) - this does two things - gets baby nursing for all feeding times and that stimulation is much better than any pump you could buy ;) These are tricky to learn but at this age work really well as the baby is so young.

SNS info and videos - so we do a 1/2 bottle first to calm baby and then latch with the SNS to learn for a day or two then switch to 100% SNS once you have mastered it. Aiming to switch breasts that you add the SNS on throughout the day to start and then on both breasts, then as your supply builds you would do breast without the SNS, then switch sides, add the SNS then a few more days both breasts without SNS and then add on the third breast.

Supply - one of the best things for supply is skin-to-skin with baby (so wearing baby in a wrap, contact naps, naked bottle feeding, etc.) this also helps baby with latching.

Relactation article/tips

Ties - usually when there are oral ties and they are being released, that isn't when we would be trying to start a new feeding method during the healing process ... but the IBCLC at the office can decide what is best for you both :)

Hope that helps! Cheers!

Back