$1

@judithwiegand Just had something similar happen the other day! Found out my car needed a new alternator and all I had to do was buy a new one, turns out it’s pretty easy to replace on your own

@ifeadi Also, for any dads out there with a hybrid, hybrids DONT HAVE AN ALTERNATOR.

But when the 12V battery is starting to die, it will cause a lot of the same issues that a faulty alternator will.

@michjutt Thank you! We were going to go that route since a furnace can be a tricky, delicate, and expensive thing to fix, but I decided to give ol Google a shot and I’m very happy I did!

@prouddada That’s me with anything electrical. I worry worry worry about it until I can’t put it off any longer, then I do it, and I spend the next week worrying about the house burning down, then I forget about it.

@judithwiegand Kudos on the win, but I'm really curious where you find anyone that can come diagnose for less than $120 or so? I live in a pretty cheap/poor area and standard rate for anyone for anything is $100 at the cheapest. Most are $120 or higher.

@judithwiegand I did this with our hot water tank. Same issue. Sensor had some corrosion that needed to be cleaned off. Called the company we rent it from (don't get me started on that part) and they said a week to come fix so I said nuts to that and figured it out on my own.

I love learning new things

@judithwiegand The only thing to think about is how long the gas has been going without being burned. It’s important to have someone with a gas detector to know if the levels of gas aren’t in the LEL range.

@betsy789 I would think that because what he fixed was the flame sensor, there wouldn't be a concern about excess gas leaking. The whole point of the flame sensor is to stop that from happening, and a failed state = no gas

@judithwiegand My Kenmore dryer used to die all the time and I'd fix it with relays. Gives you a serious dyi boner fixing your own shit. Eventually the motherboard died and it was replaced under warranty. Haven't had a single issue since. Just goes to show you how fraudulent some of these companies are with their products.

Back